Trailing Off: "Assassin's Creed" (2016)

Scene from Assassin's Creed
Welcome to the weekly column Trailing Off in which I take a look at a trailer from the past week and analyze its potential. This will be done using an obnoxious amount of analyzing and personal thoughts on the cast and crew as well as expectations. Coming every Sunday (it's called Trailing Off for a reason), I will attempt to highlight films ranging from new blockbusters to lesser known indies and give them their due. Partially to spread awareness, I do believe that there is an art to the sell and will do my best to highlight why these trailers matter or don't with approval (trove) or disapproval (trash). So please stop by, recommend some trailers, and I will see you next time.


Trailer in Discussion



Directed By: Justin Kurzel
Written By: Bill Collage & Adam Cooper & Michael Lesslie
Starring: Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard, Jeremy Irons


- Preamble -

While I don't tend to make a big deal about it, I have to admit that I am a huge fan of Michael Fassbender. If forced to make a decision, I would have to say that he is my favorite actor currently working. Even if he doesn't strike most as the prime candidate for this title due to his work in franchise films like X-Men, I do think his healthy balance with dramas definitely gives him a certain diverse pedigree. He is charismatic and can seem to do almost anything that is halfway compelling. For me, he is better as a dramatic actor, turning in one of his best roles just last year with Steve Jobs. However, I am willing to give whatever he does a shot - which yes, even includes the increasingly abysmal X-Men movies.
The other option this week would've been Yoga Hosers. In all honesty, it seemed like a good idea if solely because it's the sequel to the film that started this column: Tusk. However, I do feel like it would be a predictable rant about how much better Kevin Smith used to be. Considering that Tusk was one of the most depressing movies of that year (and not in a good way), I felt that it would be best to find something richer. It is why I chose Assassin's Creed. It's an adaptation of a video game that I know nothing about. Considering that it's among the more anticipated movies of the back half of the year, I can only imagine that I'll be hearing more about it sooner than later. 
It also helps that I think the supporting cast is particularly strong. While she gets a divisive reputation, I am a fan of Marion Cotillard's style of acting. While I haven't seen Macbeth yet (their last collaboration together with Justin Kurzel), I can only imagine that they have some sort of good chemistry together. Otherwise, why would they be paired together? Considering that this is likely to be an action film, there probably won't be much chemistry. Still, I hope that there's something to latch onto. As it stands, I know nothing about the game, nor do I know much about the movie.
My main concern is that this is a video game movie, and thus will not be very good. Speaking as I don't play games in this format, I don't have an existing bias. All I do have is a yay/nay attitude that will strike me how it will. However, I can only hope that it looks far better than World of Warcraft, whose trailers alone are some of the worst that I have seen in years. The presence of Duncan Jones does little to sway me into thinking that it even looks good. I'm guessing and hoping that Assassin's Creed doesn't have ugly CGI monsters. I can only hope that's what I get.


- Dissection -

For starters, I cannot recall too much of what I just saw. If I had to summarize, I would have to say that Fassbender was declared dead before getting attached to a virtual reality thing that makes him an assassin. I don't know if it's real, but it looks like it is either a simulation, or a time travelling device the likes of which look very uncomfortable. I wish that I could decipher what it is. It looks like a better version of Sucker Punch, if just because the fantasy sequences manage to look like fun and don't look like they're colorful barf bags. It may even be unfair to compare the two, but I have no idea what a proper assessment of it would be.
The one thing that I know works is that Kanye West manages to make an appearance. While a controversial figure, I do think that his bravado and penchant for hooky music does work well in the trailer medium. Once can look at The Social Network or The Wolf of Wall Street and see this. Even if this is a more nuanced and slow song, I do think that it is cluing me in to something that I'm not quite figuring out. "I Am a God" seems to suggest that Fassbender has some sort of power. The question is how much of it is actual and how much is just this film's version of The Matrix
The one advantage beyond trying to understand what I'm seeing is that the action scenes look cool. I am still skeptical about video games turning into movies, but I do think that this at least looks like it could be fun. I don't know to what level, but the aesthetic looks pleasing and the concept could be convoluted in an entertaining way. If nothing else, it will be a chance to see Fassbender do something physical. Now that would be greatly appreciated. Until then, I will have to say that using West's music is probably the deal maker here. It definitely added a nice touch.


- One Sentence Sell -

Michael Fassbender stars in a movie where he gets to fight people and jump tall buildings for reasons unknown.


- Trove or Trash -
TROVE

It may be a low bar, but the fact that this looks halfway entertaining is enough make me look forward to it.

Comments