An Open Letter From Optigrab

Scene from Orange is the New Black
Hello loyal readers. I don't intend to take up much of your time today. However, I want to make a note that for the first time since before 2012, I am not going to be running TV Recap. Now, don't fret. I do intend to have it come back in the Fall, or possibly in late August. However, I feel the need to share that the series is going on a temporary hiatus over the summer. That unfortunately means that shows like Maron and Orange is the New Black will not be recapped. This doesn't mean that coverage in general will be discontinued, just weekly ongoing series. Click the jump for more information.
So, why am I going on hiatus? The answer is simple. I am experiencing a bit of a burnout with the idea of recapping TV on a weekly basis. Following the last batch of series that I have covered, I found myself growing conflicted with covering Maron. As you have noticed, that never happened. I ended up not doing much of anything once Bob's Burgers was finished. I admit that there is still value in me returning to this field, but the time that it consumes has created a bit of a problem for me in other fields. My productivity in short stories have been hit pretty hard as well as more personal matters.
I will still be writing and maybe even posting more movie reviews as the summer goes. I do intend to keep the Monday/Wednesday opinion piece columns as well (I apologize for being inconsistent with this) as well as the weekend's work on Alternative to What and Trailing Off. Those are valuable and easy to produce. TV Recap isn't as much. So while I enjoy discussing TV, I don't know that I have the mindset to be focusing on them as much. This does mean that I may miss quite a few of my quotas. I don't know what all that will be, but it I have to admit that it will be a relief if I don't go into it. Considering that I am behind on shows that I don't cover weekly (Daredevil, Grace and Frankie, Lady Dynamite to name three), I may also need the summer to just indulge in the late spring TV season. I also hope to keep up with recent series - such as the amazing Preacher - which are themselves time commitments. Considering my slow pace for catching up, this may not even be done by August.
Before you worry, I do intend to keep Channel Surfing alive and kicking. I may even run special columns on the various TV Recap shows, provided that the moment calls for it. The most evident comparison point is The Simpsons - of which I have covered extensively over the years through Channel Surfing despite not covering it week to week. Maybe BoJack Horseman may even show up here. I don't know. Otherwise, my TV talk will be reduced to opinion pieces here or there. I hope that it pans out in the long run.
I am sorry if this is any bit of a disappointment. I do get value out of recapping shows, though feel like I have personally hit an ambition wall. It doesn't have the same spark that it once did for me. I hope to rekindle the interest in time, or at least find ways to update and evolve. I admit that I am not great at it, but it has taught me a bit about how to watch and write about TV. I just need some time to explore ways to improve this. I am sure that it won't be entirely missed, as I do produce enough other (and I argue better) content to keep you busy. So I apologize if this seems inconvenient to you, but I have decided that it's for the best. I am not going away, and I will let you know about any improvements as they are made. Until then, enjoy your summer.

Comments