Trailing Off: "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." (2015)

Henry Cavill
Welcome to the weekly column Trailing Off in which I take a look at a trailer from the past week and analyze its potential. This will be done using an obnoxious amount of analyzing and personal thoughts on the cast and crew as well as expectations. Coming every Sunday (it's called Trailing Off for a reason), I will attempt to highlight films ranging from new blockbusters to lesser known indies and give them their due. Partially to spread awareness, I do believe that there is an art to the sell and will do my best to highlight why these trailers matter or don't with approval (trove) or disapproval (trash). So please stop by, recommend some trailers, and I will see you next time.

Trailer in Discussion



Directed By: Guy Ritchie
Written By: Guy Ritchie (screenplay), Lionel Wigram (screenplay), Jeff Kleeman (story), David C. Wilson (story), Guy Ritchie (story), Lionel Wigram (story), Sam Rolfe (based on TV series)
Starring: Alicia Vikander, Henry Cavill, Elizabeth Debicki


- Preamble -

The one thing that is likely not understood is how disappointing director Guy Ritchie's career has been following the success of Sherlock Holmes. While yes, he has had his share of good and bad, it does feel that in some sense he has given up what made him special in order to make blockbuster entertainment. While the Robert Downey Jr. vehicles are at the very least fun, they have a certain restraint to them that lacks the punch of his earlier work, which was full of life and personality. Speaking as his best work came from original stories, it continually becomes more disheartening to see him dive into familiar properties such as The Man From U.N.C.L.E., which is based off of an old spy TV series. It could have some of the charm, but it seems highly unlikely.
This is particularly true if you're not familiar with Ritchie prior to Sherlock Holmes. I am talking about films like Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch., and RockNRolla. He made stylized gangster movies that earned their R rating with a lot of cocky cursing in a British accent and plenty of dizzying editing that complimented his vision. To see what potential he had, simply watch Snatch. and notice that it is full of great performances with a cast that went on to bigger and better things. More than just making great movies, he knew how to cast the roles as well. There's something lost when translating his style to a PG-13 rating, which unfortunately looks to be the case here again.
I do hold out hope for every film he does that he will find that magic again. However, I am one of those ardent fans who cannot appreciate Sherlock Holmes not because it is a bad movie, but because it signaled a turning point that inevitably made his career into something less interesting. I want some gritty films again. Speaking as he promised a sequel to RockNRolla within the running time of RockNRolla, it seems like a cheat the further away that film gets. I need more of the interesting filmmaker and not one that just continually churns out sanitized blockbusters. They aren't the worst, but it does feel like lost opportunities.


- Dissection -

I wish that I could say that there was something appealing about this trailer for me. While it is nice to hear Armie Hammer slap on an accent and do some spy shtick, this looks more like an expository piece. I am not sure if the music or additional animations are in keeping with the TV series, but I don't get much of interest from it. There's very little here that sells me on it being anything more than a spy film. It is, for all intents and purposes, a well made trailer for something that looks rather familiar like a James Bond film. I don't get any personality off of it that would make me want to see it. It seems like a familiar espionage tale. It is hard to find enough enthusiasm for this film to even say that I am more excited for it. Yes, it is important to note that Guy Ritchie also did Sherlock Holmes, but you get no vibe that it's from a similar filmmaker. It simply is a mediocre trailer.


- One Sentence Sell -

From the maker of British gangster films comes a film about a British spy doing stuff that is very British and familiar.


- Trove or Trash -
TRASH

Maybe I am setting my bar too high, but I personally am disappointed that this wasn't able to raise much of an opinion from me. I may see it just because it could be good, but I don't see what makes this any different from any other spy film out there.

Comments