![]() |
| Scene from Game of Thrones |
Today marks the release of the Golden Globe Awards nominations. As usual, there are a lot of silly surprises and even more baffling moments. While you can find the movie nominations over at The Oscar Buzz, this is an entry dedicated to the work on TV and the many miniseries that exist within it. The following is a brief rundown of the nominees as well as a few thoughts on any given categories. Check them out after the jump.
Best TV Series (Drama)
The Affair
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
House of Cards
Overall Thoughts: It's a lot of familiar names. I will admit that I do not watch four of these shows, so I cannot give a proper opinion on them. However, I really like The Affair and am glad to see it getting a lot of recognition. If you're not watching the series, you're missing something quite special in TV. Do people not watch Mad Men anymore? What about The Leftovers?
Best TV Movie or Miniseries
The Normal Heart
True Detective
Olive Kitteridge
Fargo
The Missing
Overall Thoughts: I have seen four of the five listed here, so I have a better grasp on this than the Best Drama category. While I couldn't get into The Missing, I was a fan of Fargo and Olive Kitteridge. Both were really engaging and some of the best TV that I have seen this year. I am glad that Fargo and True Detective actually made it into the miniseries category, as opposed to the Emmys, which didn't seem to have things fully understood. Still, as a die hard True Detective fan, I will have to go with that one for top prize.
Best Actor in a TV Series (Drama)
Clive Owen - The Knick
Liev Schreiber - Ray Donovan
Kevin Spacey - House of Cards
James Spader - The Black List
Dominic West - The Affair
Overall Thoughts: I have only seen two of these shows. While I think that The Knick is pretty good, I really think that The Affair is better. However, because the latter has Steven Soderbergh behind the helm, I do feel like it stands a better chance of getting recognition. Otherwise, I don't really have any opinions on the other nominees, who are fine but not really interesting to me. Do people watch House of Cards as much as the nominations claim?
Best Actress in a TV Series (Drama)
Claire Danes - Homeland
Viola Davis - How to Get Away With Murder
Julianna Margulies - The Good Wife
Ruth Wilson - The Affair
Robin Wright - House of Cards
Overall Thoughts: I don't have much really to contribute to this column other than that I really like The Affair and am glad to see it on here. Nothing on here is really grabbing me and I feel like Viola Davis is only on here because of her credibility. I don't really know that How to Get Away with Murder is as great as everyone seems to think.
Best Actor in a Series, Miniseries or TV Movie
Martin Freeman - Fargo
Woody Harrelson - True Detective
Matthew McConaughey - True Detective
Mark Ruffalo - The Normal Heart
Billy Bob Thornton - Fargo
Overall Thoughts: Again, it is hard for me really to judge, but I really do think that True Detective came out of nowhere and became a phenomenon in ways that nobody was expecting. In particular, I think that Matthew McConaughey is going to win this category just because he is the hot thing right now. Still, it is great to see Billy Bob Thornton on the list, as he was the best part of Fargo, adding a dry, acidic wit to the series.
Best Actress in a Series, Miniseries or TV Movie
Maggie Gyllenhaal - The Honourable Woman
Jessica Lange - American Horror Story
Francis McDormand - Olive Kitteridge
Francis O’Connor - The Missing
Allison Tolman - Fargo
Overall Thoughts: I honestly tried to get into The Missing, but the first episode was a little too slow. However, I think that Allison Tolman is definitely one of the breakout roles of the year. Her character on Fargo was rather exceptional and charismatic in ways that nobody was expecting. I even liked Frances McDormand on here. However, I feel like this is Tolman's award for the steal. Next to True Detective, Fargo was one of the breakout shows of the year.
Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Miniseries, or TV Movie
Matt Bomer - The Normal Heart
Alan Cumming - The Good Wife
Colin Hanks - Fargo
Bill Murray - Olive Kitteridge
Jon Voight - Ray Donovan
Overall Thoughts: I have only seen two of these and I feel like between the two, Fargo is going to be the force to beat in some of these categories. I don't honestly know what to expect in the other categories. I guess that The Good Wife can be a pretty big threat. I really liked Olive Kitteridge, but why Bill Murray? There were so many better supporting actors in this series.
Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries, or TV movie
Uzo Aduba – Orange Is The New Black
Kathy Bates – American Horror Story: Freak Show
Johane Frogat – Downton Abbey
Allison Janney – Mom
Michelle Monaghan – True Detective
Overall Thoughts: Pretty solid batch. I am glad to see Orange is the New Black getting some attention this year. Uzo Aduba was especially good. I don't know that I necessarily agree with Kathy Bates' nomination, but I guess it is more about the name. Michelle Monaghan was good on True Detective, but she definitely played second fiddle to the male counterparts. I guess people still watch Mom? That's weird. Do we just really like Allison Janney?
Best TV Series (Musical or Comedy)
Girls
Orange is the New Black
Transparent
Silicon Valley
Jane the Virgin
Overall Thoughts: A decent line-up. I am just glad that Louie didn't make the cut, because this season has been a major disappointment. However, let's celebrate the fact that Transparent made the cut. It's a show that is going to have a longevity because of its hard hitting subject matter. I don't know that I like Silicon Valley enough to put in this running, but it definitely is welcomed. Still, it's funny to see Jane the Virgin on here. I guess that it is better than the plot description left on.
Best Actor in a TV Series (Comedy or Musical)
Louis C.K. - Louie
Don Cheadle - House of Lies
Ricky Gervais - Derek
William H. Macy - Shameless
Jeffrey Tambor - Transparent
Overall Thoughts: I'm not wild about seeing Louis C.K. on here. This season was highly overrated. I am not entirely getting why Ricky Gervais is on here either. Still, I hope that Jeffrey Tambor gets some recognition for his role. Among the nominees on here, he is the only who I think warrants the nomination.
Best Actress in a TV Series (Comedy or Musical)
Lena Dunham – Girls
Edie Falco – Nurse Jackie
Gina Rodriguez – Jane The Virgin
Julia Louis Dreyfuss – Veep
Taylor Schilling - Orange is the New Black
Overall Thoughts: A lot of familiar names on here. Nothing too extraordinary to really reference. I guess that the Golden Globes are loving themselves some Jane the Virgin. I don't really have much to input beyond that surprise nomination.
Closing Remarks: I clearly don't watch the same TV series that the Golden Globes do. I have almost no opinion about most of these. Last year's nominees were a lot more diverse and interesting.

Comments
Post a Comment