Welcome to the weekly column Trailing Off in which I take a look at a trailer from the past week and analyze its potential. This will be done using an obnoxious amount of analyzing and personal thoughts on the cast and crew as well as expectations. Coming every Sunday (it's called Trailing Off for a reason), I will attempt to highlight films ranging from new blockbusters to lesser known indies and give them their due. Partially to spread awareness, I do believe that there is an art to the sell and will do my best to highlight why these trailers matter or don't with approval (trove) or disapproval (trash). So please stop by, recommend some trailers, and I will see you next time.
Trailer in Discussion
Directed By: Neill Blomkamp
Written By: Neill Blomkamp, Terri Tatchell
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Sharlto Copley, Sigourney Weaver
- Preamble -
There's two sides to my appreciation for sci-fi. There's the side that is disinterested in them because of their ability to make rules up as they go along. As proven last week with Ex-Machina, I was not into robots trying to relate to human capacities. However, there's something else that I actually like about these type of films. I like the supernatural aspects that see things come to life. I am talking about monsters and aliens. When done right, they are some of the most fascinating films of this type, allowing the curiosities to build into something greater and far more interesting. One such case is District 9, which was Neill Blomkamp's directorial debut. It left quite an impression on me. In fact, it made me briefly think that Sharlto Copley had a promising career ahead of him. He still does, but he has also taken so many goofy roles that it isn't worth getting into.
I found it compelling because more than anything, Blomkamp really knew how to construct universes. District 9 may have been full of allegories, but it also turned aliens into something uniquely fascinating and strange. Following it up with the slightly less successful Elysium, I also enjoyed the film and its ability to churn out an interesting hierarchical story that had plenty of inspired moments. Sure, it wasn't quite as fun and accessible, but the director was leagues ahead in terms of overall potential. He made stories in realms that I actually was curious to see increase and make more fleshed out.
Then there's Chappie. At this point, Blomkamp is a name that I have enjoyed keeping my eye on. I really haven't followed any pre-production news regarding this film. At best, I wait until the next film comes out and then judge it from there. I am aware that I am in the minority when it comes to Elysium being an enjoyable little film. However, I felt that it was one predicated on world building and making a great set. The political overtones may have been much, but I think he's still finding his voice.
Still, this feels like a round two after Ex-Machina. Both deal in some capacities with robots interacting with humans. Where last week saw them turn it into an erotic being, there is still the cries of it being artificial. I don't know if I am expecting anything better from Blomkamp, as he is definitely sci-fi. However, I have had a more tolerable track record with him, so I may be willing to give him more of a pass. Again, I don't know too much going into this, so let's see how these things go.
- Dissection -
Let's cut to the strangest factor. I know that Blomkamp is from Africa, but the fact that this film features African rap group Die Antwoord is a little strange. Sure, it is great to see a more international pallet in this film, but it does seem a little bizarre. For American audiences, this is likely going to leave a lot of head scratching, especially as they seem to overshadow every bigger actor that is in the film. For the most part, they overpower the fact that Hugh Jackman is in this. Also, they have that familiar African ghetto quality to them that is known in their music, though it is curious how it is going to impact the actual film. This seems like a weird complaint, but if you wondered who that blonde girl was, here's your answer.
Onto the rest of the trailer. It does play out a little like the same thing as Ex-Machina. The only difference is that its angle comes from that of a more scientific angle. There's a scientist that is fascinated by the robot's ability to evolve. In fact, we watch it go through the motions at various stages. It gets its influences from TV and even mimicking Die Antwoord. There's a lot going on that is curious. I wonder what it is all building to and while we don't get much time with the actual robot's personality, we do get the feeling that he is being treated like an individual.
However, I do think that the strongest feature for the trailer is the atmosphere that is being built. It is very much the rundown warehouses with a lot of colorful artwork. I feel like the set design is the one big takeaway from all of this. Chappie the robot has some interesting aspects to mention, but he is overshadowed by the tone and even the weird ominous strings that are playing throughout most of the trailer. It gives it a nice and compelling edge to the entire thing.
The only question is if this is just going to be another film about hierarchy and class. At one point in the trailer, there's discussion of evolution over clips of the robot being berated with trash. This is the only glimpse into how society sees him. Is he going to be accepted as a citizen, or is he just going to be a robot? Yes, he will always be artificial and I don't like the general concept, but there's a lot of weirdness going here that actually seems interesting. It wins me over by trying to suggest that the project isn't a complete success and we are all still aware of the robot's artificiality.
Onto the rest of the trailer. It does play out a little like the same thing as Ex-Machina. The only difference is that its angle comes from that of a more scientific angle. There's a scientist that is fascinated by the robot's ability to evolve. In fact, we watch it go through the motions at various stages. It gets its influences from TV and even mimicking Die Antwoord. There's a lot going on that is curious. I wonder what it is all building to and while we don't get much time with the actual robot's personality, we do get the feeling that he is being treated like an individual.
However, I do think that the strongest feature for the trailer is the atmosphere that is being built. It is very much the rundown warehouses with a lot of colorful artwork. I feel like the set design is the one big takeaway from all of this. Chappie the robot has some interesting aspects to mention, but he is overshadowed by the tone and even the weird ominous strings that are playing throughout most of the trailer. It gives it a nice and compelling edge to the entire thing.
The only question is if this is just going to be another film about hierarchy and class. At one point in the trailer, there's discussion of evolution over clips of the robot being berated with trash. This is the only glimpse into how society sees him. Is he going to be accepted as a citizen, or is he just going to be a robot? Yes, he will always be artificial and I don't like the general concept, but there's a lot of weirdness going here that actually seems interesting. It wins me over by trying to suggest that the project isn't a complete success and we are all still aware of the robot's artificiality.
-One Sentence Sell -
District 9 and Elysium director returns to tackle the subject of creating intelligent life with a goofy robot named Chappie.
- Trash or Trove -
TROVE
Call me a sucker, but Blomkamp has won me over yet again. This could be predicated on the fact that I have liked his work to date. However, I also just like how everything is set up and that the robot isn't immediately accepted. Also, I feel like there's more going on than meets the eye with how we perceive each other in society. I hope that this delivers something intriguing.

Comments
Post a Comment