Inventory: August 2013

Welcome to Inventory: a monthly column in which we take a moment to look back at the past few weeks and highlight articles that I have written that may be worth a second glance. From the archives of Optigrab, The Oscar Buzz, and CinemaBeach, the following is what I feel to be the Top 10 articles that I have written in any given month and feel the need to highlight. Also covered will be any known details on what will be coming up in the month ahead. So without further ado, let's take inventory and see what I have to say.

Forest Whitaker
Source: Optigrab
Comments: While it is surprising that Lee Daniels' latest film turned out so solid, there was another issue bothering me in regards to the title. Through some research, I debunked that it is dumb and pointless to even consider putting the director's name in the title in order to distinguish it from a short that is not even available to the general public.

James Deen
Source: Optigrab
Comments: This was a pretty awful movie, but I enjoyed writing a review on it simply because it gave me a chance to just tear apart a film in ways that I usually don't. Also, I just feel like that article title may be one of the best, most accurate titles I've ever come up with.

Uzo Aduba
Source: Optigrab
Comments: When I initially wrote about it for the Channel Surfing column, I was unsure if I would end up liking the show as much as I did. Turns out that through the 13 episodes presented on Netflix, the phenomenon is true and Orange is the New Black is one of the best new shows of 2013 and also just Jenji Kohan managing to top herself in terms of a great product.

Earl Sweatshirt
Source: Optigrab
Comments: As someone who has kind of a guilty pleasure and fascination with Odd Future, Earl Sweatshirt's major label debut is something quite interesting in terms of production. While it may reflect someone with conflicting points of views, this is still an album full of honesty and a man that may be reluctant to grow up, but realizes that he has to.

Ellen Page
Source: Optigrab
Comments: While I wouldn't condone anyone going out to see Kick-Ass 2, I would highly recommend checking out the history of the real life superhero films as the great form of satire to modern blockbusters. They aren't always great, but as someone who has a faint interest in them, I explore some of the favorites and share which I feel to be the best that there is, including Defendor and Super.

Left to right: Vince Gilligan and Aaron Paul
Source: Optigrab
Comments: I usually try and stay away from Mythbusters, which packs 15 minutes of great content into an hour programming and makes for some underwhelming, hypocritical filler. However, when the Breaking Bad premise was brought up, I did expect them to do more than scratch the surface and was deeply disappointed, even with the appearance of Vince Gilligan and Aaron Paul.

Left to right: Dean Norris and Bryan Cranston
Source: Optigrab
Comments: Even though I am batting a zero average with the article, it is my chance to get in the last moment speculation of where the show could go before it finally shows it. While there is still hope for the remaining five episodes to make some of my concepts true, there is a large chance that I am just another person with too many ideas on my mind.

Shailene Woodley
Source: The Oscar Buzz
Comments: After coming out of this film, I was blown away and feel that it is possibly one of the year's best films and proof that James Ponsoldt is one of the best new directors on the scene. If anything, it should get Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley more work as this year's best screen couple to date.

Source: Optigrab
Comments: I feel that The Melodrama is one of the most entertaining and fun stage shows out there and deserves more credit for making a solid parody of Abraham Lincoln and his mythos. At very least, the show is a great night of laughs, inaccuracies, and a couple of strange but fun audience interactions.

Page
Source: Optigrab
Comments: While not an exceptional movie, it is one full of small character moments and intrigue as it combines nervousness with massage therapy in clever ways. While there is a wish that it could do more in exploring the story, it is a fine little movie with plenty of solid characters.

What to Expect: September 2013

Coming Next Week (TBA): Films with Friends returns with a look at Mike and I's favorite films of the summer season

James Franco
Coming Tuesday, September 3: A Channel Surfing column on the Comedy Central Roast of actor James Franco


Coming Friday, September 6: A retrospective on the Comedy Central years of Futurama

Ricky Gervais
Coming Thursday, September 12: A Channel Surfing column on Netflix's new show Derek

Andy Samberg
Coming Wednesday, September 18: A Channel Surfing column on the new Fox show Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Left to right: Giovanni Ribisi and Seth Green
Coming Thursday, September 19: A Channel Surfing column on the new Fox show Dads

Aaron Paul
Coming Monday September 23: A week-long countdown to the end of Breaking Bad by counting down the Top 50 best characters

Chris Hemsworth
Coming Tuesday, September 24: A look at potential Oscar contender Rush

Left to right: Betsy Brandt and Michael J. Fox
Coming Friday, September 27: A Channel Surfing column on NBC's new show The Michael J. Fox Show

Left to right: Robin Williams and Sarah Michell Gellar
Coming Saturday, September 28: A Channel Surfing column on NBC's new show The Crazy Ones

Left to right: Lizzy Caplan and Michael Sheen
Coming Monday, September 30: A Channel Surfing column on Showtime's newest series Masters of Sex


*Note: While you should expect each article on the date given, please understand that due to a packed schedule, there may be occasional delays. All posts will be up around these times. While these are the main shows that I am looking forward to discussing, do know that a few others may sneak in. Also, there's a good chance a Channel Surfing subject will become part of the recap series.

Comments