Welcome to Inventory: a monthly column in which we take a moment to look back at the past few weeks and highlight articles that I have written that may be worth a second glance. From the archives of Optigrab, The Oscar Buzz, and CinemaBeach, the following is what I feel to be the Top 10 articles that I have written in any given month and feel the need to highlight. Also covered will be any known details on what will be coming up in the month ahead. So without further ado, let's take inventory and see what I have to say.
Source: CinemaBeach
Comments: I had the pleasure of reviewing director Nathan Laolagi's short A Revenge Story, which premiered at the Newport Beach Film Festival as part of the OCC Shorts program. It is a fun, kinetic film from a promising director that I feel may be too stylized at points, but nonetheless an example of upcoming talent to keep an eye out for.
Source: Optigrab
Comments: After news that a teaser for a teaser trailer premiering for Catching Fire at this year's MTV Movie Awards, it lead me to write this piece that took a look at films like Star Trek Into Darkness, Wolverine, and It's a Disaster and how they are ruining the appeal of movie marketing. Also, a look at why Vine may be one of the worst current phenomenons.
Article: Bunheads: Season 1 Retrospective
Source: Optigrab
Comments: Upon watching this ABC Family Freshman series, I was taken away by how great it worked on a narrative level as well as the technical skill that went into filming various dance numbers. This show is nothing but phenomenal and a strong candidate for TV Recap when it returns in the Fall.
Source: CinemaBeach
Comments: My current front runner for the Best Movie of 2013, this Harmony Korine directed film is a visceral explosion of film making with amazing cinematography by Benoit Debie (Enter the Void). With solid performances and a memorable, award-worthy turn by James Franco, this exploration of modern culture may be the most unflinching, unapologetic expositions in years.
Article: R.I.P. Roger Ebert (1942-2013)
Source: Optigrab
Comments: One of the most influential film critics of all time, Roger Ebert, left behind a legacy of great writing and a legion of fans that are now working for various websites across the web. While I never met him, his exposure through At the Movies is a strong contender for why I am writing about film now.
Source: Optigrab
Comments: While not being a big fan of Quentin Tarantino's latest Oscar winning film, I felt like it was a fascinating ride through press and marketing. This piece is more a collection of thoughts not on the movie, but an exploration to how Django Unchained impacted both how we view racism and why Tarantino may have lost it a little.
Source: The Oscar Buzz
Comments: While I am a large admirer of director Danny Boyle, his latest film Trance was a complete mess with incoherent story telling and awful cinematography. So far, it is my vote for the most disappointing film of 2013.
Article: A Personal Ode to Marc Maron
Source: Optigrab
Comments: One of my favorite comedians, Marc Maron is on the cusp of having a really big week with the release of "Attempting Normal" and the IFC TV series Maron. This is more a loving letter, and a hint of things to come on the blog, to the man who I feel has saved my life, or at least changed the way that I look at it.
Source: Optigrab
Comments: An underrated Freshman cartoon that is just an oddball version on if a bunch of alternative comedians tried to make the Wonder Years. It is endearing and while maybe a little light, comes with its share of dark moments that keep the show consistently perplexing.
Source: The Oscar Buzz
Comments: This coming of age story is the English debut of director Chan Wook Park, and a hauntingly brilliant performance by Mia Wasikowska. With a great soundtrack by Clint Mansell, this film will at very least be considered underrated when awards season comes, and that is a low down dirty shame.
What to Expect: May 2013
Coming Thursday, May 3: A review for the cat declawing documentary The Paw Project for CinemaBeach.
Coming Tuesday, May 7: The official launch of a new TV Recap series involving the IFC series Maron.
Coming Thursday, May 16: The official launch of a new TV Recap series involving the HBO series Family Tree.
Coming Tuesday, May 28: To commemorate the end of Bob's Burgers and the fantastic third season, a Retrospective piece will be written.
Coming late May (TBD): Thanks to Hulu, Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23 will release the final eight episodes of its short lived second season, which will correlate with a return to the TV Recap series.
.jpg)















Comments
Post a Comment