Shows to Watch this Summer


With the summer kicking off with rising temperatures, bad superhero movies, and just a whole lot of personal time with the Food Network, it's puzzling why this summer must play victim to a lackluster collection of bland reality TV shows.

That is... for the most part. However, some networks have managed to get together some great programming to hook me during those hot summer nights. Sure, it's not Community, but these programs should deserve as much of your time as the regular season programming should.

Do know, Breaking Bad is returning on July 17 on AMC, but I still need to watch the previous 3 seasons to see why this show is more beloved than Mad Men. Other than that, this is all stuff that I personally will be enjoying this summer.

Children's Hospital
Cartoon Network, Thursday at Midnight
I cannot explain why I love this show as much as I do, but the ten minute episodes manage to pack just enough satire, wit, and off the wall concepts into a medical drama spoof without ever going off the rails. This season continues the tradition of the past two and will make you laugh no matter what. Featuring the who's who of modern comedy (Rob Corddry, Ken Marino, Megan Mullaly), the characters are so great at exploiting tropes that it's a wonder anything goes right at all.


Louie
FX, Thursday at 10:30
Stand-up comedian Louis C.K. returns for another season of catharsis mixed with stand up, life lessons, and his crass take on everything. As this is all strictly C.K. inspired, the effort into every detail can be seen and no moment feels fake. Easily one of the best comedies you're likely to see on TV.


Futurama
Comedy Central, Thursday at 10
The return of the juggernaut sci-fi parody show brings Planet Express back into business. While the last season took awhile to get going, the kinks managed to show that once it warmed up, it returns to the pure bliss that fans of the show will be familiar with, where anything really bizarre seems normal. Will this season be an improvement?


Weeds
Showtime, Monday at 10
I have been most leery about this season because I worried that after Nancy Botwin was arrested, it would be impossible for the show to continue. However, from what brief news I have heard, it's a time jump, so it will be interesting to see what exactly they do with it. Will the Botwins settle down? After the brilliant writing of the last season (their best yet), I am eager to see if this show can escalate without losing their force in New York City.


Curb Your Enthusiasm
HBO, Sunday at 10
While I am an unapologetic obsessive over watching every episode, this is the one show that I am fine watching one every now and then. During last season, a lot of my interest escalated with the Seinfeld finale plot, and I kind of like Larry David's cynicism. Just like Weeds, this season moves the characters to New York, where hilarity may ensue. Wonder if this will be the season to hook me for good.


And, introducing...


Wilfred
FX, Thursday at 10:30

While watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I discovered a teaser for this little show about Elijah Wood and a magical talking dog. While I am sure the gimmick is going to be too good for the rest of the plot, I am secretly hoping that FX continues their regiment of quality comedies and this is byfar the most absurd and interesting one they have come up with yet.



Other than that? Going to be on Netflix watching all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Twin Peaks. Great stuff. If these shows don't interest you, check out Netflix for some quality stuff.

Comments