The Golden Globes Winners vs. My Predictions




To say the least, it was a shoddy year for my predictions. To be honest, nothing will probably be as shattering as last year when Avatar was crowned the best movie or how the Hangover beat (500) Days of Summer, but it was still a solid year.


I'd like to say I was there watching it, but blame my employer for that one...

So, how did I do? Let's check the tallies.

Best Movie: Drama

My Vote: Inception
Back-Up: Black Swan

Winner: The Social Network
Opinions: I am not too offended, even if I find both of my picks to be way better films, the social relevance of the Social Network makes it a fair choice to win. However, I just wish it didn't win everything.

Best Movie: Comedy or Musical

My Vote: The Kids Are All Right

Winner: The Kids Are All Right
Opinions: So glad that the only real comedy nominated won. I feel the lack of competition was done on purpose as a sign that the voters knew it would win, but needed to fill four other slots.

Best Actor: Drama

My Vote: James Franco (127 Hours)
Back-Up: Colin Firth (The King's Speech)

Winner: Colin Firth (The King's Speech)
Opinions: I'm not too offended because yes, it's good. However, I don't think the performance is nearly as amazing as everyone else made it out to be. Of course, I am probably too much of a Franco fanboy to pray anyone but him wins.

Best Actress: Drama

My Vote: Natalie Portman (Black Swan)
Back-Up: Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone)

Winner: Natalie Portman (Black Swan)
Opinions: Really thrilled to see her win. I think it's only time until they just fork over her Oscar.

Best Director

My Vote: Christopher Nolan (Inception)
Back-Up: Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan)

Winner: David Fincher (The Social Network)
Opinions: Yes, I think Fincher is one of the modern savants, but I think that Nolan created something more beautifully complex and I think is sadly underlooked again because of the Social Network.

Best Actor: Musical or Comedy

My Vote: Paul Giamatti (Barney's Version)

Winner: Paul Giamatti (Barney's Version)
Opinions: Yay! Another winner that deserved it the most.

Best Actress: Musical or Comedy

My Vote: Anne Hathaway (Love and Other Drugs)
Back-Up: Julianne Moore (The Kids Are All Right)

Winner: Annette Bening (The Kids Are All Right)
Opinions: No shame that I bet on the wrong lesbian, and yes, Hathaway losing doesn't offend me as it was all favoritism. However, Bening deserves it.

Best Supporting Actor: Drama

My Vote: Andrew Garfield (The Social Network)
Back-Up: Christian Bale (The Fighter)

Winner: Christian Bale (The Fighter)
Opinions: I wish I voted after seeing the Fighter because Bale blew me away in that movie, which I thought would be hard to do after I became a big fan of Garfield's performance.

Best Supporting Actress: Drama

My Vote: Amy Adams (The Fighter)

Winner: Melissa Leo (The Fighter)
Opinions: Honestly, none of the nominees sounded that great to begin with. However, after seeing the Fighter, I am convinced they deserve most of the acting awards, so I am not offended.

Best Foreign Film

My Vote: Biutiful
Back-Up: I Am Love

Winner: In A Better World
Opinions: Haven't seen any, but felt A Prophet and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo being overlooked was a bad move.

Best Animated Film

My Vote: Toy Story 3

Winner: Toy Story 3
Opinions: I don't really have any. This movie was great and even if I ran a campaign for the equally great How to Train Your Dragon, there is no turning the vote. However, I think it's Dreamworks Animation's year in 2011.

Best Screenplay

My Vote: Inception

Winner: The Social Network
Opinions: It's not that this script lacks anything, speaking both work on different metaphorical layers. I just prefer Nolan's layers to Fincher's. However, it will probably be overlooked in due time.

Best Original Score

My Vote: The Social Network
Back-Up: Inception

Winner: The Social Network
Opinions: I only voted for this because everyone seemed to love it, even though Inception seems to have become a mainstay in the zeitgeist. Whatever... Hans Zimmer can afford a few losses.

Best Original Song

My Vote: Tangled "I See the Light"

Winner: Burlesque "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me"
Opinions: Meh. All of these songs sucked ass.


So, how did I do?
5 out of 14 not including Back-Up
7 out of 14 including Back-Up


Overall, I felt this year did pretty well, though I am burned out on the Social Network winning everything. I am not adamant that Inception beat it, but when you got a film as beautiful as Black Swan and the Fighter (sure to win the supporting actor Oscars), it's pretty stupid to overlook them.
See ya next time at the Oscars.

Comments