Alternative to What: "Face/Off" (1997)

Nicolas Cage
Welcome to Alternative to What: a weekly column that tries to find a great alternative to driving to the multiplexes. Based on releases of that week, the selections will either be thematically related or feature recurring cast and crew. The goal is to help you better understand the diversity of cinema and hopefully find you some favorites while saving a few bucks. At worse, this column will save you money. Expect each installment to come out on Fridays, unless specified. 

THIS WEEK:
Face/Off (1997)
- Alternative To -
Criminal (2016)

The fact of the matter is that the general action movie is very stupid. There is a ridiculous amount that are released per year that most people are likely to forget solely by the fact that they are familiar and don't do much new. With Criminal getting abysmal ratings, it does seem like it's bound to be one of the next casualties to this trend, and one that features an above average cast at that. Still, how could a story that has Kevin Costner is implanted with Ryan Reynolds' thoughts... or something. Either way, it sounds like a high concept without any pay-off. Which is why I figured that I would try and find a film where switching identities actually lead to a halfway decent movie.
That is where Face/Off enters. From director John Woo, it pits John Travola against Nicolas Cage in an over-the-top action film that features all the ridiculousness that I previously bashed. However, there's a certain assurance, a balance that comes with the territory. It could just be that these two particular actors were at their peak hamming it up. Whatever the case may be, there's a reason that this remains a seminal action film from the 90's despite being just as ridiculous as the title's inevitable pun would have you believe. You'll get plenty of endless gunfire, but you'll also have some fun with it.
The premise is simple: Travolta plays a cop that is tracking down criminal Cage. The plot progresses through a series of baffling set pieces and creates the familiar cat and mouse game. However, it is halfway through the film that it earns its placement in history as one of the more inspired dumb movies. Using science that isn't entirely clear, Travolta and Cage decide to trade faces and go into the other person's shoes for the plot. Add in a few more nonsensical set pieces, and you have one entertaining action ride.


As easy it would be to say that I am above recommending movies that are inherently dumb  (or most latter day Cage movies for that matter), I do have to admit that sometimes they work. In this case, it's actually a lot of fun and the less that you think about it, the better time that you are likely to have. I'm not saying that it is the most provocative movie, but it will provide plenty of enjoyment for those willing to suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy themselves. Of course, it's also just good because it reflects how hammy Travolta and Cage can be without steering too far into obnoxious territory.
I don't know a whole lot about Criminal. Then again, I don't remember whatever Costner's last action movie was. To me, those are the type of movies I try to avoid talking about. They don't have much long term value and are maybe a tad too on the nose in the moment. If you're going to watch an action movie and not complain that it doesn't make sense, then I'd suggest being smart and doing your homework. I am not an expert on the genre, but it's mostly because I don't have time to put up with mediocre runoffs. Face/Off is not mediocre runoffs. It's just really fun.

Comments