Welcome to the weekly column Trailing Off in which I take a look at a trailer from the past week and analyze its potential. This will be done using an obnoxious amount of analyzing and personal thoughts on the cast and crew as well as expectations. Coming every Sunday (it's called Trailing Off for a reason), I will attempt to highlight films ranging from new blockbusters to lesser known indies and give them their due. Partially to spread awareness, I do believe that there is an art to the sell and will do my best to highlight why these trailers matter or don't with approval (trove) or disapproval (trash). So please stop by, recommend some trailers, and I will see you next time.
Trailer in Discussion
Directed By: Shion Sono
Written By: Santa Inoue (manga), Shion Sono (screenplay)
Starring: Tomoko Karina, Akihiro Kitamura, Shota Sometani
- Preamble -
I want to apologize for the few weeks that I took off from doing this column. While I could come up with a good excuse, the real answer is that there haven't been any trailers that I cared to write about. Most of the films that have been making the rounds look to be rather mediocre, or at the very least able to predictably get a bad score from me. I have been hoping for a good trailer to come along each of these weeks, but none have crossed my path. Speaking as I tend to choose them between a Monday through Sunday time frame, it makes things a little easier and difficult at the same time. Some weeks, it's easy because you'll find that one. That one that stands out as a necessity. Others, it feels like you're simply doing it to fill a contractual obligation.
In this case, it's one that I have been eagerly waiting to see footage of. While readers aren't likely familiar with Asian cinema (I'm not a leading expert either), there have been a lot of interesting films coming out of the continent in the past few years. If you haven't seen it, Why Don't You Play in Hell? is a phenomenal movie from last year. Up next is Tokyo Tribe. Now, I don't know a whole lot about the film or the manga that it is based upon. All I know is that it has received a lot of critical acclaim. Also, it has one of the craziest concepts that I've heard from a film in quite some time.
Stick with me on this. While it focuses on the martial arts we come to expect from Asian cinema, it has something else going for it. On top of being brutal, it is also a musical. You read that genre right: musical. It sounds like one of the most insane projects out there, and it's slow word of mouth build has only made me more excited to finally see it. While I have no relation to the director Shion Sono's previous work, I hope that this is more reflection of that one film that gets me excited, as if discovering a new brilliant director for the first time. I have nothing else really to add other than I've been excited about this one since that first trailer was released. Now, to finally watch it.
- Dissection -
What the? That was at very least a catapult of absurdity thrust upon the eyeballs. You get a strong idea of what's to come. There's a lot of melodrama and apparently references to rape scattered throughout. The songs are also a little bit better than I had initially conceived. I don't know if this sells it as a masterpiece, but it does sell it as one of those films that will stick with you. It is the first battle rap musical. That alone warrants something, doesn't it? There's a million things flying around. I, I don't even know how to properly dissect it. This is just a head trip of a trailer that will either hit a sweet spot, or leave you thinking that it's more ridiculous Asian cinema. To me, it's kind of amazing and beautiful in its own way. Why can't this be out already?
Sorry for not being able to dissect better, but really. That trailer is going to get you more excited than you ever thought it could. It's just pure adrenaline and excitement thrust into one two minute trailer. It's more innovative than a lot of what I have been reviewing here. I don't know if I will see it in time for end of the year lists, but I really hope I do because this looks incredible. Hurry up and release it.
- One Sentence Sell -
There's an Asian movie that features sword fighting in a rap battle musical, and it's as amazing as you think it is.
- Trove or Trash -
TROVE
If the fact that this left me a little speechless is any endorsement, let that be its singular achievement. I loved watching that trailer and I hope the film is this brilliant.

Comments
Post a Comment