Alternative to What: "Defending Your Life" (1991)

Left to right: Meryl Streep and Albert Brooks
Welcome to Alternative to What: a weekly column that tries to find a great alternative to driving to the multiplexes. Based on releases of that week, the selections will either be thematically related or feature recurring cast and crew. The goal is to help you better understand the diversity of cinema and hopefully find you some favorites while saving a few bucks. At worse, this column will save you money. Expect each installment to come out on Fridays, unless specified. 

THIS WEEK:
Defending Your Life (1991)
- Alternative To -
90 Minutes in Heaven (2015)

This week's selection is a bit of a tricky one largely because I didn't want to do the obvious M. Night Shyamalan pick of "his older stuff was better." I wanted to do something more creative. However, this week marks a low point for other releases. There's not a lot that I really care to even remember in a year's time. So, I have chosen a film at random. That is, random enough that I can work within a bigger context. As a result, I have chosen 90 Minutes in Heaven. I don't know a whole lot about the film other than that a man gets into a car crash and goes directly to heaven, supposedly for 90 minutes. I guess that is the gist of the story. Don't ask me. I don't care to learn more.
With that in mind, it did leave one interesting title for me to talk about: Defending Your Life. While the film has earned a healthy reputation as this comedy with existential subtext, I do think that it is still worth checking out. It does help to be an Albert Brooks fan. He's an underrated director whose films are all very smart at their core, even if they're hidden under absurd scenarios. Consider Real Life or Lost in America. These films tackle concepts that seem inane until you get down to his take on it. The results are fascinating and most of all very funny. I would recommend a lot of his catalog, actually. So once you finish this film, go for the other ones. I assure you that they're a good time.
So, why Defending Your Life? I personally think that it is his best work. After dying in a car crash, a man enters purgatory and must determine if he lead a worthwhile life. He befriends someone and lives a romantic life. Most of his time is spent watching his life literally flash before his eyes as he is questioned about every last immoral detail. By the end, it becomes a complicated comedy about the human experience in general. Thankfully, Brooks is clever enough to keep it from getting too sentimental or complicated for people just looking for a good time.


There isn't much to say other than if you haven't seen it, please change that. Considering that it is among Brooks and Meryl Streep's best work, I do think that it should be maybe a little more revered outside of film circles. Yes, I mention that it has a positive reputation, but considering how few people love Brooks in general, it may be hard to really find too many people that have seen it. I still say that it's worth your time because more than anything, it is a high concept comedy that sticks to its guns and works until the very last frame. It's adult without being morose. It's existential without being pretentious. It captures why Brooks in general is a great artist worthy of your time.
I don't know if 90 Minutes of Heaven will be half as good as this. I don't frankly care. It's actually a tough call, especially since I don't know how similar they are. For me, it's hard to pick topics for Alternative to What right now because of the lack of substantial plots. Considering that I haven't even heard of the top movie of this week at the box office (War Room), I don't even know if I'm just out of the loop. However, the reviews haven't been that great either, so I don't feel bad in outwardly dismissing it in favor of watching a film that is worth your time. You see, Defending Your Life is a really good movie plain and simple. I doubt that you won't enjoy it.

Comments