Do I LOVE Bjork Yet?: "Biophilia" (2011)

Hello everyone and welcome to the latest miniseries called Do I LOVE Bjork Yet? Over the course of the next week, I will run through all eight of the Icelandic singer's solo albums and determine if she is in fact more than just a weird little performer with an equally strange voice. This will also feature a continual ranking of each entry as well as various thoughts on the music and occasionally production of her work. This is all leading up to her latest album "Vulnicura," which has been receiving critical praise. But will I LOVE it? Tune in every day to find out.

Album: "Biophilia" 
Released: October 5, 2011
Label: One Little Indian, Nonesuch
Running Time: 49:34

Track Listing:
1. Moon
2. Thunderbolt
3. Crystalline
4. Cosmogony
5. Dark Matter
6. Hollow
7. Virus
8. Sacrifice
9. Mutual Core
10. Solstice


Expectations: The truth is that "Volta" threw me for a loop. While I have grown to admire her performance style, her revisit to more electronic based music wasn't all that successful or interesting. I kind of feel skeptical at this point about giving her a pass despite making four albums that I really like. Considering that this is supposed to be an interactive album (of which I will only be listening to the music), I may be doing this a disservice. However, I do feel pretty psyched on the  home stretch that there's a few modern surprises in here.

Best Song: "Crystalline"
I'm not even sure how this song works. It has the typical Bjork melodies of a beautiful chorus with backing vocals pushing mythic lyrics to the forefront in engaging ways. It is beautiful, hypnotic and suddenly breaks out into electric dance music. There's something insanely jarring about it that still works. I am really enjoying it and while this happens a few more times throughout, it rarely takes away from the magic.

Worst Song: "Dark Matter"
I don't hate it, but compared to the rest of the album, it's just not that interesting. Yes, there's a great doubling of vocals and haunting melodies. However, it lacks the personality of the other songs and doesn't make it immediately interesting. 

Overall Thoughts: What is odd is that between her earlier-ish stuff and the past four albums, there is both tremendous growth and diversity. I am beginning to admire it in ways that I wasn't expecting. Yes, I don't love "Volta" and my dismay for the interactive music component felt daunting. However, I don't feel it when I listen to this music. I hear a hypnotic, astral sounding album that plays like lullabies occasionally jammed with terror. It doesn't entirely work, but I am more often engaged and wondering what's to come than bored.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Do I LOVE Bjork Yet?: The fact of the matter is that while this album doesn't rank in the top half, it is still one that I have a fondness for. In fact, I feel like there's a testament in finally questioning where it should go on the list (predominantly above or below "Homogenic," which I feel deserves another listen). Having emotional investment in simple placing means that the music connects in some important way, and I am glad to say that this does mean that I like her. I may not quite achieve love between now and "Vulnicura," but at least I'm on the path.

Ranking:
1. "Post" (1995)
2. "Debut" (1993)
3. "Vespertine" (2001)
4. "Medulla" (2004)
5. "Biophilia" (2011)
6. "Homogenic" (1997)
7. "Volta" (2007)
8. "Bjork" (1977)


UP NEXT: "Vulnicura" (2015)

Comments