Do I LOVE Bjork Yet?: "Post" (1995)

Hello everyone and welcome to the latest miniseries called Do I LOVE Bjork Yet? Over the course of the next week, I will run through all eight of the Icelandic singer's solo albums and determine if she is in fact more than just a weird little performer with an equally strange voice. This will also feature a continual ranking of each entry as well as various thoughts on the music and occasionally production of her work. This is all leading up to her latest album "Vulnicura," which has been receiving critical praise. But will I LOVE it? Tune in every day to find out.

Album: "Post" 
Released: June 16, 1995
Label: One Little Indian, Elektra
Running Time: 46:10

Track Listing:
1. Army of Me
2. Hyperballad
3. The Modern Things
4. It's Oh So Quiet
5. Enjoy
6. You've Been Flirting Again
7. Isobel
8. Possibly Maybe
9. I Miss You
10. Cove Me
11. Headphones


Expectations: While I can admire the work on "Debut," I found myself a little irked by the overall production. It wasn't that it was bad, but there was a redundancy to it that kept me from being fully on board with it. With that said, Bjork is already a compelling singer with interesting parallels in her vocal and musical production style. Upon research, I hear that "Post" is more of the same, so I am worried that it will put me further into the redundant camp than the admiring camp. With that said, she is still interesting enough that at her worst, she is just plain weird.


Best Song: "It's Oh So Quiet"
It is the song that people haven't shut up about since the Spike Jonze-directed video came out 20 years ago. I am proud to say that I fell for it just like everyone else. The one thing that I like about Bjork so far is that she is atmospheric and can control sound within her own music. The music cuts across from a big band chorus to this quiet and precocious verse that is as charming as it is inventive. There's something to Bjork that feels comical intentionally, but I just admire that it's earnest. I don't understand it, and that may be why I like it so much.

Worst Song: "The Modern Things"
I am realizing that the oddity that is Bjork is both what I love and can't stand about her. You have "It's Oh So Quiet," which invents a clever format. Then you get "The Modern Things," which is fine, but reads like a series of random ideas being thrown together as she gurgles through the lyrics. I like her more ethereal tracks, but there was something uneven about the song that is initially off putting. In an album that is in some ways on par and others better than "Debut," I am starting to understand my limitations of Bjork, or at least the early goings.

Overall Thoughts:
I cannot say that I am blown away entirely by Bjork just yet. In all honesty, I am grateful that she exists and I find her vocals and production to be excellent. I love those moments where I'm confused and find it beautiful. However, I only like this album more because she feels more assured as a performer and while the production isn't nearly as memorable, is used more effectively to the song. I like how her music can be melancholy and uplifting in equal strides. However, I am worried that I entered a redundant topic here and that Bjork is only going to become more of an acquired taste. However, based on Wikipedia research, I am willing to believe that her early work differs from her later ones in significant ways.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Do I LOVE Bjork Yet?:
Not at all. I like what she's doing, but there hasn't been all that much that has personally connected to me in any meaningful way. She is charming and has a weird sense of humor, but I don't feel artistically like it is always best represented in her music yet. I like her and am glad to have listened, but I am still waiting for that spark of thorough genius to make itself known.

Ranking:
1. "Post" (1995)
2. "Debut" (1993)
3. "Bjork" (1977)


UP NEXT: "Homogenic" (1997)

Comments