Hello everyone and welcome to the latest miniseries called Do I LOVE Bjork Yet? Over the course of the next week, I will run through all eight of the Icelandic singer's solo albums and determine if she is in fact more than just a weird little performer with an equally strange voice. This will also feature a continual ranking of each entry as well as various thoughts on the music and occasionally production of her work. This is all leading up to her latest album "Vulnicura," which has been receiving critical praise. But will I LOVE it? Tune in every day to find out.
Album: "Bjork"
Released: December 18, 1977
Label: Falkinn
Running Time: 29:35
Track Listing:
1. Arabadrengurinn (The Arab Boy)
2. Bukolla (Your Kiss is Sweet)
3. Alta Mira
4. Johannes Kjarval
5. Fusi Hreindyr
6. Himnator
7. Oliver
8. Alfur Ut Ur Hol (The Fool on the Hill)
9. Musastiginn
10. Baenin (Christopher Robin)
Expectations: The truth is that prior to this album, I have never actually listened to a Bjork album in its entirety. While I have seen Dancer in the Dark (whose soundtrack will not be included in this retrospective), I don't feel like it gave a great perception of who she is as a performer. I get the feeling that she'll be weirder and more interesting than that film gives her credit. Also, I am curious to see if "the voice" will bother me as much as the ballyhoo surrounding her will have me believe. I know that her self-titled album isn't necessarily the best starting point, as she went on to do The Sugarcubes and various projects and didn't release another album until the early 90's. That should make this fun.
Best Song - "Arabadrengurinn"
It's the song that opens the album. While the minute-long sitar may be a little much, it quickly transitions into a bouncy beat. It's then that we hear a very young Bjork for the first time performing her song. The issue with this album is that it's hard to grade on any curve because all of the songs managed to have the same bouncy and enthusiastic beat that makes for harmless and enjoyable music.
Worst Song - "Bukolla"
This Stevie Wonder cover isn't particularly awful, but as I said in the previous section, I don't find much to really love or hate about this album. It's more novelty and manages to ride by on charm, especially since I don't know a lick of Icelandic.
Overall Thoughts: And so it begins. The quest down the Bjork hole of music starts with an album that feels oddly novelty yet also conventional and strange. For what it's worth, her voice is rather good and while the productions leave a lot to be desired, there's an occasional kooky moment that throws you off. I can only assume that she sang these songs earnestly and that I was enjoying love lorn songs. However, it's an album that is both easy on the ears but leaves very little of an impression when it's over. It sounds, as it should, like an Icelandic child singing songs. I would be curious to learn why she didn't just jump into more of a career after this. Not that this album gave me any hope for a follow-up.
Rating: 3 out of 5
Ranking:
1. "Bjork" (1977)
UP NEXT: "Debut" (1993)

Comments
Post a Comment