Trailing Off: "Listen Up Philip"

Welcome to the weekly column Trailing Off in which I take a look at a trailer from the past week and analyze its potential. This will be done using an obnoxious amount of analyzing and personal thoughts on the cast and crew as well as expectations. Coming every Sunday (it's called Trailing Off for a reason), I will attempt to highlight films ranging from new blockbusters to lesser known indies and give them their due. Partially to spread awareness, I do believe that there is an art to the sell and will do my best to highlight why these trailers matter or don't with approval (trove) or disapproval (trash). So please stop by, recommend some trailers, and I will see you next time.

Trailer in Discussion



Directed By: Alex Ross Perry
Written By: Alex Ross Perry
Stars: Krysten Ritter, Elisabeth Moss, Jason Schwartzman

- Preamble -


Falling into the camp of films that I missed at Sundance 2014 is Listen Up Philip. Admittedly, my hopes were not high to actually want to see it. Compared to the other films that were out at the time, I was preoccupied with choices that I feel were rather more beneficial. Even if the film features some of my favorite actors, it was a hard sell to want to see the film largely because it didn't feel like it offered much of value. Jason Schwartzman could be great in a film, but chances were more often that he would be improperly used in the lead role. It has happened before. With exception to Rushmore, has there been a quality lead role from him? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, he is great though.
However, there is one catch. He is playing a writer. The truth is that while it isn't a popular opinion, I consider Bored to Death to be one of the best series of the past few years. With Schwarztman starring as a writer-turned-detective, its magic worked for three seasons and produced some of the best use of the actor. The writing was tight and his subtle wit was done with delicious execution. Even if the series has faded into an obscure memory for most, it remains a personal favorite and one that gives him the edge in whatever he does.
Of course, it helps that it also stars other great TV performers Krysten Ritter (Breaking Bad, Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23) and Elisabeth Moss (Top of the Lake, Mad Men) and gives me a little more hope that this isn't just another throwaway vehicle like The Marc Peas Experience. The truth is that while Schwartzman has been misused, he can be stuck in something that feels overly twee thanks to his affiliations with Wes Anderson. It is murky territory with him and fingers crossed that Listen Up, Philip is going to be that break from the regular trend.

- Dissection -

For the most part, the trailer successfully delivers on its premise. Schwartzman is playing some form of pomposity with an upsetting wit to him. He tries to connect with the other characters, but essentially feels like he is disconnected. This is fine, as he is reliably great at playing the role. However, it doesn't allow any character not in the title to deliver something of value. There's Jonathan Pryce as a supporting character who seems to be playing a mentor of sorts to Schwartzman that manages to give him a lot of enthusiastic banter with. In fact, the trailer makes Philip seem well versed and rounded. We know who he is basically.
However, the question really remains that the rest of the characters are given nothing beyond credits in the trailer. Who is Moss and Ritter supposed to be? I want to know. The only thing to guess is that it's going to be a film centered around dealing with Philip and his frustrated writing ways. There isn't much of value either in not revealing the plot. Sure, plotless character studies can work, but what is the point when selling it like this? Nobody seems to matter beyond Philip.
What is worse is that the film doesn't do anything justice. The music used is exceptionally twee and undermining in ways that make this feel like a delightful romp when juxtaposed against imagery of grumpy individuals. It is a trope that I have seen before and it doesn't really work here. Even with the purple backdrops and circles presenting the individuals with their credits, it does feel a little like too much of a novelty and the film feels rather... generic. I want to believe that there's more than wallowing in self pity. However the trailer does nothing of value to suggest otherwise. 

- One Sentence Sell -

Jason Schwartzman is a frustrated writer in a film that looks to be about him dealing with people who are frustrated with him.

- Trove or Trash -
TRASH

I like the cast and the general concept sounds appealing. However, there isn't anything to make me want to see it. If it wasn't for preexisting interest, there is little chance that I would see this film based on the this trailer. It felt rather underwhelming and doesn't give us anything new in terms of Schwarztman's style of acting. Also, the supporting characters simply feel almost too secondary even for this type of story. I wanted more out of it. With bland visual cues as well, there isn't much here that will persuade viewers to watch it on blind faith.

Comments