Reassessing 10 Things I Would Like to See in the Final Episodes of "Breaking Bad"

Bryan Cranston
Before the season started, I made some predictions that I would like to see Breaking Bad see achieve in the final eight episodes (check them out here). In many ways, I was proven wrong and in fact, they have come up with far more interesting ideas. However, the odds aren't entirely against me. Not yet anyways. With the big send-off "Felina" happening this Sunday, I figured it was a good time to look back on the predictions and see what has been achieved and what still waits on the other side, if it actually does happen.
The interesting thing about the list that I created was that even in the 10 suggestions that I made, there were some sub-theories that I created. Things that were more specific than the vague outline that I put down. I will try to not get into too many of those, but it will be hard as many keep some theories from being totally null. The following is the non-tampered 10 with the marks grading it either a success or a failure. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments below.

Walter's Biggest Freak Out


Theory: With everything gone, Walter has the biggest panic attack of his life.

True/False: True 
While there is a chance that "Felina" will see something far grander in execution, "Ozymandias" proved to be the episode where Walter is left with nothing. In the show's most powerful scene possibly ever, we see the White family turn against him and brandish his hand with a knife slice. Driving off with Holly, he leaves home for good, only contacting them to leave a passionately misleading phone call keeping Skyler and Walt Jr. out of the picture. I doubt anything will get closer to a huge panic attack than potentially putting Holly in harm's way.

Bob Odenkirk
Saul Leaves Town

Theory: Saul (Bob Odenkirk) decides that enough is enough and leaves Walter and Jesse for good.

True/False: True
It almost didn't happen in time for my theory to be proven true. While I had predicted since "End Times" that it would go down, it finally happened in "Granite State" when Saul decides to leave Albuquerque and the life of a local celebrity to hang out in Nebraska. It is more out of necessity than desire, largely because Heisenberg has been revealed to be Walter and now anyone who knows him is probably being interrogated. In his final notes to Walter, he states the truth: It's over. While we will see him again on the Better Call Saul spin-off, we'll probably never know where he lays his head at night.

Betsy Brandt
Holly Does NOT Die

Theory: The youngest White family member Holly does not die.

True/False: True
While there is still potential for the tides to turn, I feel confident that Holly will make it out alive. She has almost been the center of custody battles between varying family members all season. The closest she came to danger was in "Ozymandias," but when Walter realized that stealing Holly wouldn't lead to any good, he sends her back to home in the hands of a firefighter (Noah Sagan). She still lives and as seen in "Granite State," she is moving away from the pink colors. The only issue now is if Todd and the Nazis will pose any threat to Skyler and the family now that they know she is testifying against Walter.


Laura Fraser
Lydia Gets Buried

Theory: Lydia (Laura Fraser) gets killed off.

True/False: False
In fact, "Buried" had nothing to do with sending a cast member six feet under. Lydia is still alive as of "Granite State" and from the sound of things, she will be fine as long as Todd keeps having a crush on her. However, since "Gliding Over All," she has become quite the businesswoman and is wanting the purest meth imaginable. In a way, Lydia and Todd are not representing a perverse, romantic version of Jesse and Walter's initial set-up of dealer (Lydia) and maker (Todd). If those machine guns have anything to say about anything, there's a good chance that she could get killed to defend her product, but doubtfully will she be given the buried treatment I predicted.


Jesse Plemons
What About Todd?

Theory: Did Walter piss off Todd (Jesse Plemons)?

True/False: Maybe
This wasn't a theory more as a speculation of what exactly Todd would be used for. Even if he was seen cooking meth in "Gliding Over All," I wasn't sure exactly how he would work into the final episodes. The general concept was that Todd and the Nazis wouldn't stand for Walter's shenanigans and prove to be an unrelenting force. The machine gun alone proves that this is a fact, even if it wasn't out of jealousy. Still, the idea that Walter would be beaten by Nazis who are relentless killers turned out to be true, as they killed Hank without much thought besides an order. However, it is yet unclear if he was beaten by them in any way but morally and we'll have to wait until "Felina" for the answer.


Left to right: Anna Gunn and RJ Mitte
Walt Jr. Adopts Hank as a Father Figure

Theory: Walt Jr. (RJ Mitte) disowns Walter for Hank

True/False: False
While the blanket statement is actually true, as "Granite State" reveals that Walt Jr., now going by Flynn, refuses to accept his father because he killed Hank, it wasn't what my theory was. I imagined that Hank would be the triumphant hero in this tale. Technically he was the hero, but died long before the madness ended. My theory here was that Walt Jr. would adopt the name Flynn and become Hank's son. Since he is dead, that will never happen, though there's still chance for him to go onto Marie's side. However, I fee like it is going to end with him forever protecting his mother from Walter and therefore keeping Flynn Schrader from ever coming into existence. However, another sub-theory is true that he refuses the money and thus leaves Walter entirely helpless.


Aaron Paul
Jesse Finds Out Everything

Theory: Jesse finds out about everything that Walter has done to him.

True/False: True
While it actually doesn't happen in "Confessions" (or at least entirely), we can at least end the series on a positive note that Jesse knows about Brock and Jane's demise. Sadly, that was only the introduction to a downward spiral of a hell of cooking with a bunch of Nazis not afraid to kill his loved ones. As much as I root for Jesse, I almost want him to be at peace, as I don't see how he can live a normal life anymore. Still, the show manages to keep from copping out by presenting Walter as the true villain of the piece by admitting his faults, even if it only resulted in Jesse pouring gasoline on the White house's carpet.


Cranston
Road Trip!

Theory: Walter goes on a trip to New Hampshire

True/False: True
This is probably the most obvious one to predict, largely because the show has never been cryptic about episode titles without some payoff. With "Live Free or Die" and "Granite State," there was a clear sense that they were going to New Hampshire. While it wasn't to deal with any of Walter's enemies head-on, it almost served as his isolation and realization that he has indeed hit rock bottom. There is little for him to do but watch Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium and try and get news from the person who brought him to the middle of the snowy mountains. 
On a side note, I also addressed in the theory that Jesse is sporting handcuffs. From what I gather, it is more in reference to him being a prisoner under Todd's brutal watch.


Left to right: Adam Godley and Jessica Hecht
Gray Matter is Part of the Downfall

Theory: Walter will try to take over Gray Matter, but fail miserably.

True/False: Maybe
Even if he doesn't attempt to take over Gray Matter, the company that put his ego into a blender and made him the man he became, there is nothing more crushing than his former partners disowning him as nothing more than a name creator. They may very well be the reason that he has gone back to Albuquerque and it is still possible that Gretchen is the person in which "Felina" is referencing. However, this mighty blow is a reminder that even when he tried to make money his own way and he had the chance for somebody to help, his stubborn ways caused him to fail and put his family in jeopardy.


The Ultimate Shootout

Theory: Walter goes out in a blaze of gunfire

True/False: Maybe
While we know that the machine gun is meant for the Nazis, there is a good chance that this isn't the resting stop of Walter. While it is most likely going to be the case that he does meet his end behind a weapon, there's also the chance that he will take a more subtle approach of death, such as a cowardice ricin poisoning or by the hand of Jesse, who has nothing left in the form of sympathy. Who knows what will happen, but I am sure that "To'Hajiilee" wasn't the last that we saw of bullets being fired.


Scoreboard
True: 5
Maybe: 3
False: 2


It is still possible for the Maybe category to be changed, though it will be interesting in what way. Stay tuned sometime next week when I will tally up the final prediction marks in a briefer format in a series retrospective. Also, stay tuned for a special piece on Saturday in which I share my picks for some of the best fan videos that we have seen from the show.

Comments