I will admit ahead of time that I am not the biggest Halloween fan on the block. However, having grown up near a television, I am well aware of pop culture related to Halloween. In compiling the following list, I found it difficult to make a coherent list. What do I include? What is the criteria? I decided to just do pop culture from my childhood. Maybe some of it hasn't aged well, but every time I revisit these episodes, the young me looks at it and gets that goofy grin. Some of it is barely a year old while others go back to the early 90's. Let's face it, Halloween and my TV were good friends, even if I gave up on trick or treating years ago. Here is a list of my pop culture Halloween, which features some familiar, some obscure, and a lot missing.
I have no real curriculum for this besides it has to be Halloween themed. I was originally going to include "anything scary," but that would include stuff that is only tangentially connected. It has to be Halloween straight-on. That's why you won't see Frankenstein, Evil Dead II, or even Cabin in the Woods. This list is heavily dominated by TV and I apologize ahead of time. I also will note that I am missing obvious favorites from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, That 70's Show, or Futurama's "the Honking." Truthfully, I would include them if I could remember them, but they aren't as fresh as I would like.
However, as my header photo would show, I am a big fan of Mean Girls, and that scene in particular is what defines every Halloween for me. It is a simple four words and a very brief video that I feel the need to share. You find me a more significant piece of Halloween entertainment, and I will hear you out.These are the things that I can recall fondly from my childhood, both very recent and from the old school days.
The Simpsons - "The Shinning"
Let's face it, I love the Simpsons. I have seen every episode and cannot wait for each year's Treehouse of Horror, even though the past few have been very lackluster. If I had to clue in on which was my favorite of the show's installments, it would be "the Shinning," which is a parody on the Shining. Both are brilliant on their own merits and compliment each other nicely. This is the Simpsons at their peak. Even a line as vague as "Hi David, I'm grandpa" never ceases to make me laugh, even if it isn't Halloween. I know that I said that these had to be strictly holiday based, but do realize that this is a Halloween special, so in a way, it cancels itself out. If you haven't seen the actual episode, please do yourself a favor and see it.
*For a continuation of my favorites, here is a list that I made last year.
by Up Syndrome
See that guy in the middle with green hair? That guy now makes music videos for the Black Keys, Britney Spears, and even Ke$ha. Not that long ago, he was in this excellent punk band called Up Syndrome who ruled the OC circuit with records like "Welcome to Phase 3." This song has appeared on 106.7 KROQ and has become one of my go to songs whenever I want a goofy Halloween song. Don't kid yourself, this song is about the "some" that you are thinking about, and it is catchy as hell.
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
There is no need to really introduce this entry. It remains one of the most satired Halloween specials of all time, and you can see why. I grew up in a household that loved Peanuts, and this was an almost annual viewing. Even the piano takes me back to watching primitive animation dance back and forth across a stage. It may be the Peanut's best holiday special, if just because of the introduction of the line "I got a rock." I have heard so many alterations of that line that it's hard to remember where it came from. It may be dated and blocky, but it still holds up as a reason for children to believe in weird concepts like the Great Pumpkin. He will come one day.
"Mind Playin Tricks on Me"
by Geto Boys
by Geto Boys
One of the few things that remind me of Halloween in an ironic way is listening to this song every time it comes on the radio. Whenever Halloween rolls around, I immediately think of verse three (starts at 3:35) when he discusses Halloween falling on the weekend. It is pretty much about going crazy in a very poignant way. It has nothing to do with Halloween other than it wasn't even close. Still, one of my guilty pleasures and it gives me thought every time I think of the holiday.
Saturday Night Live - "Irwin Mainway"
Community - "Epidemiology"
Let's face it, Saturday Night Live has done a lot of Halloween-based episodes. However, I cannot think of one that had a bigger impact on me than the sketch with Dan Aykroyd as a shady businessman named Irwin Mainway. In the 70's no one was more eccentric and funny than Aykroyd (unless John Belushi was involved), and it is easy to see why with clips like this. You'd find it hard to believe, but he sells a Bag 'O Glass with ease. Can you name a bit more inspired than a con artist who tries to convince you that balls are more dangerous than glass? That is the brilliance of Saturday Night Live. It may be suggestive, but it was my favorite period of the show.
*Note: I realize this is a Christmas clip and my information is wrong. However, I remember a Halloween episode with this character. I just cannot find it. So please enjoy this one until I can find it.
*Note: I realize this is a Christmas clip and my information is wrong. However, I remember a Halloween episode with this character. I just cannot find it. So please enjoy this one until I can find it.
Upon watching this, I had a new Halloween tradition. I needed to watch this episode of Community every year. It is hard to imagine this and a claymation episode appearing all in the same season, but this show was mindblowingly on the ball during that time. Whether it is the concept of an outbreak, the overuse of Abba music, or ridiculous costumes, "Epidemiology" embodies everything that Community does right. It is hilarious and even features some voice work by George Takei. What is not to like?
Beginners (2011)
I would recommend that you watch Beginners. While it isn't a Halloween film, it does feature a prominent scene during the holiday. The scene linked above shows Ewan McGregor and Melanie Laurent finally meeting in a sincere, comical way that embodies one of my favorite scenes from the film. It is touching and almost too nerdy. While Christopher Plummer ends up stealing the movie (in an Academy Award winning role), it still is a marvelous film with a lot of great moments. Check it out sometime.
The reason that Freaks and Geeks is one of the greatest shows of all time is that it captures those teen years in a very inspired way. Even if it is a throwback to a time long forgotten, it still resonates to this day. Whether it is smashing pumpkins, egging your brother, or dressing up as the Bionic Woman, this is one of those perfect episodes that may not be all that scary, but captures the fun of the holiday without getting into terribly kitschy corners. Freaks and Geeks was really good at that because they had realistic characters that were almost too vulnerable. It isn't all that scary, but you try dressing up as a cowboy to hand out candy with your mom and we'll see how your opinion differs.
One of the shows that I keep underrating thanks to diminishing syndication is the brilliant King of the Hill. Every time I pop on an episode, I rediscover why it is I watched it so much as a kid. The stories of family values and learning to live life in Texas was more than surface level. In this story, a preacher is trying to convince Bobby of not participating in Halloween. This leads towards a rebellion that ends up being a poignant father-son moment. It challenges traditions and religions in a way that manages to avoid preachy behavior. It almost makes you wish that you lived in Arlen just so that you can back Hank Hill when he marches through the street in an undersized costume.
The most recent entry on my list is not necessarily the best that the show could bring, but at very least it is a promising start to what could easily be the show's gimmick. They know how to make a good Halloween story and have brilliant commentary on candy bars. I don't care much for the other half of the story, but it is worth watching just for the kids' story.
Coming soon?
These are upcoming Halloween episodes that may make the cut (or not).
This show still needs to grow on me, but after four episodes, I kind of get what it's going for.
Ed Wood
Say what you will about the modern day Tim Burton, but back in the 90's, he produced gems like Ed Wood, which itself was a biopic on the famous director. As a fan of old school horror with a study in bad films, this movie is great. In this scene, Johnny Depp and Martin Landau scare off a pair of kids only for Depp to reveal that he is wearing dentures. Wood sure was a misunderstood director, though it is easy to see why once you realize he wears angora and meets Orson Welles in a bar.
Freaks and Geeks - "Tricks and Treats"
The reason that Freaks and Geeks is one of the greatest shows of all time is that it captures those teen years in a very inspired way. Even if it is a throwback to a time long forgotten, it still resonates to this day. Whether it is smashing pumpkins, egging your brother, or dressing up as the Bionic Woman, this is one of those perfect episodes that may not be all that scary, but captures the fun of the holiday without getting into terribly kitschy corners. Freaks and Geeks was really good at that because they had realistic characters that were almost too vulnerable. It isn't all that scary, but you try dressing up as a cowboy to hand out candy with your mom and we'll see how your opinion differs.
King of the Hill - "Hilloween"
One of the shows that I keep underrating thanks to diminishing syndication is the brilliant King of the Hill. Every time I pop on an episode, I rediscover why it is I watched it so much as a kid. The stories of family values and learning to live life in Texas was more than surface level. In this story, a preacher is trying to convince Bobby of not participating in Halloween. This leads towards a rebellion that ends up being a poignant father-son moment. It challenges traditions and religions in a way that manages to avoid preachy behavior. It almost makes you wish that you lived in Arlen just so that you can back Hank Hill when he marches through the street in an undersized costume.
Bob's Burgers - "Full Bars"
The most recent entry on my list is not necessarily the best that the show could bring, but at very least it is a promising start to what could easily be the show's gimmick. They know how to make a good Halloween story and have brilliant commentary on candy bars. I don't care much for the other half of the story, but it is worth watching just for the kids' story.
Coming soon?
These are upcoming Halloween episodes that may make the cut (or not).
The Mindy Project - "Halloween"
This show still needs to grow on me, but after four episodes, I kind of get what it's going for.
New Girl - "Halloween"
If I remember right, this episode has a zombie Woody Allen. Fine enough for me.
Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23 "Love and Monsters..."
At very least, you'll hear my thoughts on this episode tomorrow.
Also check out more of my work at http://nerdseyeviewpodcast.blogspot.com/ where I have a podcast called Nerd's Eye View.






Comments
Post a Comment