What to Watch This Summer: TV Shows and Small Movies

By Thomas Willett

With schools getting out across the universe, it is time to kick back, sing a song, take in some sun, then cool off the burn with some entertainment. What is out there for this upcoming summer that even comes close to substituting a well-earned new shade of skin? Besides obvious choices like the Dark Knight Rises, Breaking Bad, or Louie, there are numerous things worth checking out. I have a few that I would love to suggest for you in case you come across a boring afternoon with time to spare.

Before I start, I want to note that I will be taking a different approach than Matt. Instead of sounding redundant, I have chosen to take a look at culture that isn’t regularly talked about. I am going to give you a list of new awesome-looking TV shows and movies not coming to a theater near you. That’s right. I am challenging myself to pick movies that will at least be born into the limited release market from June-August. It was hard, but after watching several trailers, I found that it became a rewarding experience.

Movies:

1. To Rome with Love (June 22)
In a perfect world, director Woody Allen would be rewarded for his persistence with box office numbers to match his output. What makes this film exciting is that this is Allen’s follow-up to the Oscar winning (and personal favorite) Midnight in Paris, which showed the old timer discussing literature in a fabulously whimsical way. The cast also continues his recent return to very bizarre ensembles. The list includes Alec Baldwin, Jesse Eisenberg, and Alison Pill as well as Allen’s triumphant return to acting. Of course, the big draw for me is actress/activist/”stand-up”/video game thingy Ellen Page, who is always a delight and seems like a rightful pairing for Allen’s intellectual dialogue.

2. Safety Not Guaranteed (June 8)
I know that this is technically already out, but it is still a June release, and one that I really want to see. With a cast that includes some of my TV favorites: Jake Johnson (New Girl), Mark Duplass (the League), and Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation), this simple story about time travel looks to be a breakout role for Plaza and will hopefully exploit the reasons why I think her sardonic wit is so charming. I wish that I could judge more properly, but I have been missing my rounds of indie comedies this year, as I still haven’t gotten around to Jeff Who Lives at Home. However, next to Moonrise Kingdom, I am hoping that this elevates this humdrum year into one of the more favorable.

3. Cosmopolis (August 17)
As long time listeners of the podcast will know, I read the Don Delillo novel because I was blown away by the teaser trailer. I wanted to know more and while some of the intrigue is gone as a result, I still feel that there is a decent story to salvage from the mediocre book detailing a philosophical look at economics. I still have my doubts that this will be more bleak than interesting, but the promotional materials have made me excited. I have never been big fans of director David Cronenberg or Robert Pattinson, but somehow they sold me this weird little flick that also features Paul Giamatti and Jay Baruchel rounding out an intriguingly fun cast. Until then, I will continue to enjoy comments from people who don’t get the trailer.

4. Ruby Sparks (July 25)
The last time we saw co-directors Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, they gave us the Oscar-winning film Little Miss Sunshine. If anything, I owe that movie a debt for introducing me to independent comedies and making blogs like this a reality. With Paul Dano as the lead playing a writer who creates a dream girl (Zoe Kazan, who played Nina on Bored to Death) and programs her to love him, I am already sold. While this doesn’t capture me the way their previous effort did, I am willing to give it a chance as it looks like a solid romantic comedy with an equally impressive supporting cast that includes Steve Coogan, Aasif Mandvi, Elliott Gould, Antonio Banderas and Alia Shawkat. I will admit that stories about writers provoke empathy from me, but this looks like Deconstructing Harry with a twist. Let’s hope that it is even half as good.

5. Kumare (June 20)
When looking this movie up, I saw comparisons to Christopher Guest and Borat. Those two things intrigued me to check out the trailer, and I will admit that it sold me. Director Vikram Gandhi stars as himself disguised as a guru to see if they really possess enlightenment. Did I mention that this is a documentary? While I am sure that there is going to be more reverence here than in I’m Still Here, I am expecting Kumare to take on spirituality the same way I’m Still Here took on celebrity: in a very casual yet informative first person experience. While the original comparison now seems to make me doubt the credibility, this is definitely one of the few documentaries that doesn’t feel overly dramatic or yearning for attention.

Television

1. The Newsroom (June 24, HBO)
I have been excited for this show since it was first announced last year. It wasn’t because of what was on screen, but behind. The creator is Aaron Sorkin, whose work has made me feel deep love (the Social Network), faint praise (Charlie Wilson’s War), and emptiness (Moneyball). I am not familiar with Sorkin the TV man, so this will be an interesting trip. However, the biggest piece of intrigue is that the pilot is directed by one of my favorite current directors Greg Motolla. The trailers have me convinced that it is trying to be Network, but I am hoping for that moment of zen when stern honesty meets very dry wit. It also helps that the cast includes Dev Patel, Alison Pill, Emily Mortimer, and Jeff Daniels. My one concern is in casting Olivia Munn, whose previous TV stint Perfect Couples was anything but pleasant. However, I am hoping that doesn’t keep me from enjoying the festivities.

2. Comedy Bang Bang (June 8, IFC)
I know that I have already talked about it, but I still think that it is worth checking out. I admire IFC’s quest to expand with original programming, especially after Portlandia proved to be such a success. I have seen the first two episodes, and while my opinions are slightly more askew, there is still some charm to be taken away from the 30 minute episodes, including guests like Amy Poehler, Tom Lennon and Gillian Jacobs, who often just appear for seconds. This probably won’t revolutionize the way we view TV, but I hope it gets more people to recognize the genius of the show’s band leader, Reggie Watts.

3. Brand X with Russell Brand (June 28)
Continuing my week of talking about comedian Russell Brand, I want to introduce this idea to you. It sounds crazy, but it could work. Can you imagine Brand hosting a talk show on FX that lets him be unfiltered and funny? As a very casual fan of his work, I am looking forward to seeing what the show adds to an increasingly trustworthy network of comedy. My concerns are that he can be often too eccentric and the ads provide no clues to what the show actually is. I suppose that is part of the intrigue. I just hope that it goes better than Kevin Smith’s Spoilers, which feels rushed and trying to appeal to the audience in very lowbrow ways. I don’t put Brand’s public persona on par with Smith’s in terms of marketability, but I’m hoping that there’s something to make me keep watching after Louie.

There you have it. From the looks of it, this may be one fun summer. So make sure to check these out when you can and let me know what you think. Did I miss any small releases that are worth checking out? Is there any new TV that I really need to give a try? Feel free to write and let’s get a dialogue going. It will be a long couple of months, so I can use all the time fillers that I can.

You can read Thom’s blog every Wednesday and hear him on Nerd’s Eye View every Tuesday and Thursday at nevpodcast.com. Send your thoughts to nevpodcast@gmail.com. You can also read Thom’s movie reviews for Cinema Beach at cinemabeach.com.

Comments