And the Award for Best Title Goes to...

By Thomas Willett

When I was young, Christmas was the holiday that I loved the most. I would rush out of my room and throw my arm into a stocking to find candy, scratchers, and very cheap toys (thanks, mom and dad). There was a glee in discovering mysteries laced around the house. For one day, it seemed like everything could go perfect. True, some gifts are far superior to others, but my parents never spoiled me because we didn’t have spoil money. We just had money, of which I had significantly less of in my early days. I would be fine with getting the DVD I asked for. What day has since become one of my favorites? In order to understand this comparison accurately, you must place the mindset of Christmas into what I’m about to say. Think of this time as when all the great stuff happens. Everyone is full of cheer and wishing for one day to come. The media is filled to the brim with coverage. It’s a time when I become excited because everyone has become obsessed with the same day. It is…

The Oscars! Since I was a child, I have been obsessed with the Oscars. Every year my mother and I would pull out the ballot form from the Los Angeles Times Calendar Section and mark our initials next to our votes. Like Keno, there was an excitement that anything could happen. It was all about watching and moving your feet in rapid motion, waiting for that name to finally be announced. My childhood has seen the best and worst of the past 15 years of Oscars and while I don’t remember it all, it’s been the significant day out of the year when I gather with people, place bets, and undermine confidence.

It has also become a significant time because two years ago on February 1, Nerd’s Eye View took to the air with Sandro, Andrew, and me (Matt would follow in a few weeks). I remember this date because it was the day before the nominations were announced. In a sense, our show was born into covering every moment of this event. It’s also because of the show that I have found likeminded intellectuals who will dissect each nominee with evidence. It’s made me more passionate and has only made me long for that day more as I become the cocky gambler. It could be argued that I shouldn’t be this passionate, but I love movies and for some reason Comic Con doesn’t feel right to me. Nothing gives me the rush of waking up on nomination day and seeing who will shape our future.

I do mean it. These movies will shape our future understanding of that year. When I have the time, I analyze cinema by year based on Best Picture nominees to see what the cinematic mindset was. I do not recognize most of the titles, but there has to be some deep story to why How Green Was My Valley beat Citizen Kane and yet the latter is more iconic nowadays. This is the way that most movies are remembered. To some extent, this is why I take so much pride in wanting the best to be represented. Of course, it often dives into favoritism as I had Juno to win over No Country for Old Men that year.

That’s why Tuesday morning was one of the most exciting times of the year. The sad truth is that I have only woken up early to watch the announcement one year (Anne Hathaway in 2010) and staked out my spot early by watching reruns of Moral Orel. However, it’s always the first thing I research when I wake up. I want to know. And sure enough, 2012’s nominees were announced by Jennifer Lawrence and while I didn’t watch the video live, I got a kick out of what the crowd in attendance thought of each movie.

At first I thought people just liked Max Von Sydow. As it progressed, however, I noticed that this crowd was more enthusiastic because Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close got a nomination. This was the first quarrel that I had. However, this is why I love this moment. Sometimes I get a sense of being on the ball, others I am left scratching my head in anger. Either way, I have a polarizing emotion that makes me excited to memorize the list as quickly as I can. It is also when I begin researching the odds and getting back into the Cineplex to catch up.

So, which way did it go this year? I will be honest that at first glance, I managed to catch the obvious moments of triumph with the Artist being dominant and Midnight in Paris getting some writing love. I wasn’t wrapped up in the obvious worries that my favorite movies wouldn’t get nominated (Ellen Page: get knocked up by Michael Cera, a nomination. Try to rape Rainn Wilson, nothing). I could never see Super in this pantheon. However, my vision of 50/50 and The Ides of March getting Best Picture love was only a minor disappointment.

Since I’ve had close to a day to analyze all of my thoughts carefully and begin to compile a list, I have decided to avoid just doing picks (the Artist WILL win Best Picture) and instead explain my thoughts on every Best Picture nominee and how surprised or not I am by them. I feel that there is enough to be said by these and should carry my overall opinion of this year’s selections. I will then round it out with five moments that surprised me and quite possibly the greatest Barbara Walters interview ever.

There were nine movies chosen for Best Picture. They are:

The Artist - While it’s not my favorite in this category (Midnight in Paris), it has become one of those endearing films that stuck with me. The fact that I can get upset with it betraying some elements of silent films and still call it a great movie is a sign that this movie succeeds on so many other levels. It’s a great story and it manages to pay homage without losing originality. If anything, I guarantee that you’ll get two things out of this: a fantastic score by Ludovic Bource (don’t listen to Kim Novak ) and your new favorite canine named Uggie. I also hope that host Billy Crystal can find a way to parody it and bring his old barbeque bit into the next century.

The Descendants - I know that I have been harsh on this movie, but it’s only because I think it’s a melodrama that isn’t reflective of the best. I’ll admit that I am fine with George Clooney getting the Best Lead Actor statue (though Jean Dujardin should), but I doubt that this movie will hold the impact that the Best Picture winner should. Even with the Hurt Locker (as much as I wasn’t a fan of it), I could see its significance as a war movie. The dysfunctional family referendum has been done better and this does little to convince me otherwise. However, I’ll take this time to say congratulations to co-writer Jim Rash (Dean Pelton to my Community Fantasy League cohorts) on getting some writing love.

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - While I applaud its choice to use an ampersand, this one just baffles me. Every time I see the trailer, it just screams “We’re trying too hard for an Oscar nomination! ” I will admit being a little intrigued by what that key opens, but by the time U2’s “Where the Streets Have No Name” kicks in, it gets to a large level of sappiness that makes me believe this isn’t as good as it could be. I hope that it’s a poignant view of life after 9/11/01, but with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 48%, this is the lowest rated movie to be nominated in the past decade.

The Help - I will not claim to hate this movie, but I never saw what the buzz was about. At least that was my reaction up to its release. It seemed like a typical quirky period piece (I called it Hairspray without the music) that would click with audiences and be a feel good summer film. I never saw it being successful (it is the highest grossing nominee with $169 million). However, as time progressed, I have fallen onto the curious wagon that has wanted to see it due to the fantastic word of mouth campaign. I also have heard that Viola Davis is really good, and I have hopped on her bandwagon for Best Actress. What is the problem? It’s been on my Netflix queue for months as being a Very Long Wait. With this piece of news, I probably won’t see it unless I buy a copy.

Hugo - I am not surprised to see this on here, though it feels more like just acknowledging film preservation and how great director Martin Scorsese is. While I will admit to loving the movie, I don’t see its odds in winning this category. At most I would root for it in the technical fields and maybe adapted screenplay. This is odd, speaking how much I love Scorsese, to admit that this feels more like it was nominated because it correlates so much with themes of the Oscars.

Midnight in Paris - I am very proud to see this one getting the recognition it deserves. At most, I could call it my favorite Woody Allen movie in ages. I honestly believe that it will take original screenplay as it’s the liveliest and most interesting thing verbally I have seen this year. It’s an infectious treat and while I would hate to segregate Allen to one category, I feel that it’s the best and only odds it has to winning. Maybe if this gets more prestige, it can lead to Allen’s nest film (Nero Fiddled) landing Ellen Page another Oscar nomination.

Moneyball - It’s not that I didn’t think this one would make the cut; it’s that I didn’t want it to. I figured with a writing team like Aaron Sorkin (who won last year for the Social Network) and Steve Zailian, you already have the Oscars’ hearts. I don’t feel that it’s that great of a movie and at most the better of the two inspirational sports movies (the other being Warrior). I guess that people just like baseball. This movie feels too cold and wordy to be more than a diatribe to anyone who doesn’t know the lingo.

The Tree of Life - On the other end of the spectrum, this movie surprised me positively. While I will not claim to like it, I have been tracking it in hopes that it may get recognition. It may be a pretentious art film, but it looks good and the effort should be rewarded. However, after it didn’t get any Golden Globe attention, I assumed it was kaput. This surprise makes me most happy because as the Top Ten Lists of 2011 have been clogging up my time, I have found that its polarizing, anti-narrative style has created too much discussion to not at least consider this a unique film that rarely comes along. Will I ever see it again? No. Will it win big? No. However, this is one of the reasons I consider this list to be a reflection of the year in cinema.

War Horse - As much as I bad mouth this flick, it’s mostly because I can’t stand the trailer. Where Extremely Loud & Incredible Close felt too sappy, this hit the right amount, but probably only won me over because I respect Steven Spielberg to deliver quality. I worry that the only reason this was nominated is because it’s Spielberg, but I’m hoping in time that it could also be because it’s a good movie with a unique narrative through the eyes of a horse. I just hope this doesn’t leave me saying “They left Drive off for THIS?”

That’s my thoughts for what’s on the list. Overall, it’s not one of my favorite batches, but again, I feel that it could be worse. At most, it was cathartic to look through all of them and personally ask myself why these were chosen. Maybe it’s because popular cinema wasn’t that great last year. Maybe there were some fierce campaigns. Maybe this is why We Need to Talk About Kevin received no love. However, this and many other points will be addressed in my next section detailing five big surprises. These could be either pleasant or utter sadness.

1. Melissa McCarthy gets nominated for Best Supporting Actress - When I first saw this, I was kind of rolling my eyes and furious. I didn’t consider her to be that funny and the press around it has been a little much. However, the further I analyzed it, the more I realized that Judd Apatow, who wanted that comedy category, had won. Not only had Bridesmaids gotten a writing nomination, but also one in acting. This movie is officially the success story of the year and did something that its supposed male counterpart couldn’t: get nominated for an Oscar. I believe that it’s time we start calling the Hangover as the male version of Bridesmaids. While I don’t consider McCarthy’s performance worth celebrating, I’ll take this as the triumph Apatow wanted.

2. Albert Brooks receives no nomination for Drive - This category is about to get ugly. While Christopher Plummer already has Best Supporting Actor in the pocket, it’s who he’s competing against that makes it seem too easy. Kenneth Branaugh? Max Von Sydow? Are those really the best of the best? While I don’t hate the guy, I don’t understand how Jonah Hill got a nomination before Joseph Gordon-Levitt ever did. It defeats the laws of physics. Also, because I didn’t like Moneyball, it only frustrates me more to see Hill’s name here instead of Brooks, who essentially balanced out Drive’s great moments. I am also going to loathe the new campaign for 21 Jump Street that will undoubtedly say “Starring Academy Award Nominee Jonah Hill.” It’s inevitable and sad, especially since Brooks deserved something.

3. The Adventures of Tintin isn’t better than Rango - It’s a painful sentence for me to write, especially after the Golden Globe win that Tintin received. It wasn’t necessarily a strong year for animation, but it bugs me that it’s been relegated to two foreign movies (no problem there), Kung Fu Panda 2, Puss in Boots (okay, I adore that movie), and Rango. I don’t understand the Rango love. It’s weird, but it’s not great. Spielberg’s movie had madcap fun and great technological achievements. It should have been recognized. I’m proud that Cars 2 didn’t get anything, but at the same time, I cry at the irrelevance I feel for this category now.

4. Best Original Song only gets two spots - This was the biggest frown on the whole list. Yes, I am happy to see the Muppets’ “Man or a Muppet” on here, but against what? For some reason there are only two songs on here, and it frustrates me because it’s from Rio, a movie that was subpar with a song even more-so. Even if it just turned out to be a melody of determining which was the best song from the Muppets, this show would have been interesting. Now, I am already sure that it’s an either/or case and because no one likes Rio, the Muppets already can be walking to the stage.

5. More like blew valentine - The reason I love Ryan Gosling as much as I do is because of Blue Valentine. However, I hadn’t seen it in time to admit that he was snubbed last year while Michelle Williams got a nomination. The irony continues to hit as Williams got a deserved slot for My Week with Marilyn while Gosling, who could’ve gotten something for The Ides of March or Drive, whose performances defined charismatic, went overlooked. While I am glad to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on this list, I cannot help but wonder if either Gary Oldman or Brad Pitt for Moneyball could’ve been removed for his nomination. As readers will know, I was optimistic that he could at least land a nomination this time. I am tired of his one slot belonging to Half Nelson. He might as well take the underdog title now that Jeff Bridges doesn’t have it.

There you have it, a list of my thoughts on things that the Oscars did and didn’t do this year. While I am not excited by these choices, I will be following with some devotion as the month drags on to that date. Anything can happen, and since I have already seen two thirds of the Best Picture choices, I only have to sit through three more to make an educated selection.

What do I expect from the ceremony itself? I want it to be one of the best shows in years. I know some people call Billy Crystal too safe, but as someone who grew up with the show, Crystal is a man that I admire. He knows how to carry the show better than my more favored entertainers Chris Rock, Steve Martin, or Jon Stewart. I long to see what’s in store and hope it’s the best that it can be. I know that after last year’s infamous bad show it’ll be hard to recover, but Crystal is a trustworthy name. I cannot see him being turned against as easily.

I will also miss seeing Barbara Walters’ post-Oscars special. It was in that time that gave us the greatest interview of all time in which Walters asks Ellen Page what the appeal of the Moldy Peaches was despite having them on the show. It’s an endearing segment I watch from time to time to laugh at how clueless Walters can be without intention and how Page can look classy in the most awkward situations (though her Jay Leno stuff may more be awkward).

Want to hear more of my thoughts and actual picks? They will be appearing as I take more time to view them and determine which deserves the most merit. However, I would love to hear your thoughts on the choices. Hit me up and we can start a dialog. I assure you that I can handle any form of criticism.

You can read Thom’s blog every Wednesday and hear him on Nerd’s Eye View every Tuesday and Thursday at nevpodcast.com . Send your thoughts to nevpodcast@gmail.com. You can also read Thom’s movie reviews for Cinema Beach at cinemabeach.com .

Comments