In Defense of Seth Rogen

By Thomas Willett


This past weekend, I saw 50/50. For a full review, check out Thursday’s show, episode 30. However, to briefly state my opinion, this felt tailored to me. I love movies about characters, preferably in a comedic state. Being a fan of James L. Brooks’ earlier films, I can see a lot of the influence on director Jonathan Levine’s work. I won’t waste your time with the reasoning why Joseph Gordon-Levitt may be one of the greatest young actors currently working (does Brick or(500) Days of Summer not prove it?). I won’t waste your time discussing Levine’s other movie the Wackness (featuring the immortal line “I just look at the dopeness. But you, it’s like you just look at the wackness, ya know?”).

What I will choose to focus on is the co-star in the movie who has gotten the most flack: Seth Rogen. Let’s be honest, he isn’t the worst actor on the planet. He may star in a few clunkers, but there is still some charm in him that draws me to everything he does. In fact, I had naïve hope that he would turn the Green Hornet (2011) into something special because I honestly believed he was a fanboy that got in shape. However, by this update from Ain’t It Cool News, my hope was dwindling. In fact, I argue that as a fan of the character, this was the most offensive scene from a movie this year.

What is bizarre is that despite my strong distaste for that movie, I still cannot find much to hate about Rogen as a comedian. I just never believed he could be the action star that Van Williams was. I even felt that the Simpsons episode he wrote (“Homer the Whopper”) was a commentary on his weight loss. However, to fully explain to you why I defend Rogen, I shall take you back to my 2007 (yes, that 2007 that brought us Knocked Up and Superbad).

I had different tastes in 2007. I had just noticed that Adam Sandler was beginning to suck, but wasn’t really ready to move on. I was six months into my Kevin Smith period. I wasn’t that sophisticated when it came to tastes. If I thought it was funny, so be it. In fact, despite what the high school kids would say, I didn’t even develop that reputation as movie man until college. Also, this was pre-Ellen Page days, before Juno came and changed my world forever. It was 2007, and I guess Vince Vaughn was still riding the success of Wedding Crashers.

Now that you have that picture. I was driving past the Lakewood Mall with my mother and for some reason, she looked over and said, “Let’s go see Knocked Up.” It’s true, the reviews have been immensely positive with 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. I didn’t know how profoundly crass it would be. Also, we had done a similar routine when Little Miss Sunshine and the Departed came out, so this seemed like a go.

To say this movie changed my life would be a sad, odd assessment. It altered my future slightly. I think it introduced me to an accessible version of a concept comedy with undertones of pop culture references. With Sandler, I got that goofy guy who just had weird non sequitors. With Rogen, I got a story about a stoner who managed to grow up, read the baby book, and take charge of his life. Even if that was just a subtle influence of character arcs, it amazed me that these characters had a natural feel to them.

I’m not saying Rogen is fit to be called a very natural guy, but the progression, the spit fire comedy, and the immortal gag of “I live in your phone” resonate with me. I have watched it numerous times and just find it enjoyable. It was not only the birth of my Rogen appreciation, but my interest in director Judd Apatow. I essentially feel that because of Knocked Up and its dry, crass, pop culture humor, it shaped who I am today. I may not sound like Rogen, but the faint influence can be heard in every podcast and post that I’ve written.

A year later, I’ve made myself familiar with his back catalog and finally convinced my grandparents to buy Freaks and Geeks on DVD at Barnes and Noble (I know, I know, overpriced). That continued to shape my world view. This show had it ALL. Not only had it combined the things I had grown to love, but it also featured my perfect dream girl:Lindsay Weir (Linda Cardellini). She was perfect. True, it featured Rogen in a smaller role (and less memorable, with exception to “The Little Things”), but every story felt so honest and real. I wanted to write like that. In truth, I was probably Rogen in the picture: least likely to get Weir, but I had a good joke occasionally.

And so on and so forth. Basically, he embodied that persona of a weird friend. True, I could never relate to him as a stoner, but his personality was a gateway for me. I slowly formed my dry wit around those movies and eventually grew out of the Sandler mold.



I guess that isn’t a defense as much as a reason why he’s important to me. He is not my favorite comedian, but I’ll stand by him through anything that sounds decent (Like Jay and Seth vs. the Apocalypse, actually happening). I also believe that in 50/50, he gave his best performance in years. My co-host Andrew will complain that he is a billboard for his emotions, but that’s his type. If you’ve seen his track record, as well as majority of comedians, very few have the ability to do range. He did what the movie called for and he did a great job at it.

Speaking of, it seems odd to accuse him of playing the same character. It’s like any other character actor with a schtick. Chris Farley was fat and obnoxious, like a cancer-ridden poor man’s John Candy. However, there is an audience who finds his physical comedy humorous. I just find him loud (though I’ll give you Tommy Boy). He essentially died playing THOSE characters. Harpo Marx died playing quiet, horny, lunatics who dressed the same. Whether you’re eccentric or mellow, a lot of comedians have a schtick. No one complained about Tommy Chong, who pretty much reprised his stoner persona in That 70’s Show. Also, not all of the Cheech and Chong movies were worth remembering. Why hate on Rogen?


True, he has been in a lot of movies and is sometimes hard to ignore. He was a box office juggernaut a few years back, but now that it’s died down, I’d like to think that 50/50 was the first time you’ve seen him since Paul came out. To be honest, if you should be tired of anyone, it’s Natalie Portman, who cranked out 6 movies before July even hit (though I love her, anyways).


I understand that there’s different audiences out there. I know that Rogen is sometimes a little much with his crass language. I know that a lot of people want their comedies to be broad and gag oriented. Most Rogen movies don’t have a gag. It has Rogen talking back to people in a very dry tone. A lot of people don’t like dry.


However, I disagree with these comments on Imdb’s message board:

Not such a bad guy: He is one of the biggest mistakes in modern pop culture.

GooGooTheDinosaur: Agreed. Simply put to the point. He’s right up there with Lady GaGa.


I mostly read these hate threads for laughs. Let’s just do one more:


Parcels-1: If he wasn’t Jewish, he’d be flipping burgers at Burger King.


Don’t take my word for it. There’s more great ones at Imdb.com. I just don’t have time to post any more.


In closing, I don’t think I’ll persuade anyone to like Rogen. I just want you to know that for me, he was a gateway to better comedy. Because of who he worked with, because of who influenced him, I was able to grow into the guy you see before you. I was able to fall in love with characters and pop culture references. He may not have range, but I feel that he embodies a persona that is often under appreciated (and not just people who wear “Liquid Swords” shirts). In 20 years, I’m sure the hatred will simmer out and his fans will still remember him as the guy who did Pineapple Express and the great Jodi Hill dark comedy Observe and Report. After all, he still occasionally shows up to the Oscars, so somebody likes him. He won’t be the funniest member of this generation, but if anything, I’ll remember all the laughs he continues to give me in work like 50/50.

PS – Bored to Death season 3 starts on HBO on Monday. Check you local listings for show times and watch that awesomeness. Also, pick up the first two seasons now on DVD and Blu-(Super)Ray (if you watched the show, you’d get that joke).

You can read Thom’s blog at nevpodcast.com every Wednesday. You can also read Thom’s movie reviews at cinemabeach.com. Send us your thoughts at nevpodcast@gmail.com

Comments