Stupid TV! Be More Funny!

by Thomas Willett

As September rolls in and we’re finally rid of the summer time blues, it’s time to hit the books… and the TV! With this period being considered the dumping ground for movie releases (scientists would argue January is more valid), there’s a good chance you will feel the need to flip on the TV and watch some new shows.

Every year, I long for the hopes that I will have something new to fill up my days. After all, this is the time when Community first hit airwaves three years ago. That surely can’t be the end of the new breed of this generation-defining TV (no one is arguing that Outsourced was cancelled too soon). Who will join the ranks of Bored to Death, Parks and Recreation, and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia as the shows that will stand against time?

Before I dive deep into my list of 5 anticipations and 5 abominations, I must note that I have a small bias. I am the guy who essentially only uses his TV to watch 75% of the half hour comedy format. You know that show NCIS: State and/or Region? Cannot get behind that. While I have improved with a small interest in Mad Men, I consider dramas to be too time consuming and often dull. Comedies at least feel like they know their place: a brisk 30 minutes. It feels a lot more tight and doesn’t leave room for too much fodder.

So yes, this is essentially going to be slanted towards comedy. I apologize. I cannot back investing this month to discovering the joys of drama (Ellen Page guest starring on Family Guy will be pretty painful as it is). I need to laugh.

My 5 Anticipations

Past winners: Bored to Death, Eastbound & Down, King of the Hill, Parks and Recreation

1. 2 Broke Girls (Sept 26. 8:30, CBS)

While I have been heavily opposed to “comedies” of CBS (I do give Big Bang Theory a pass), I couldn’t help but feel that maybe it’s time to mend ways, if just for 30 minutes. The show stars Kat Dennings and is written by Michael Patrick King (Sex and the City). Dennings is very close to my heart. Beautiful, funny, and outshined a spaced out Natalie Portman in Thor. However, I am still leery by footage I’ve seen. There’s the prototype to any CBS comedy: corny jokes, canned laughter, and mediocre dialog. In truth, my biggest drawback is King. While he created the well crafted TV show Sex and the City, he became a George Lucas of sorts, ruining the franchise’s reputation with two terrible movies. I worry that his return to TV will bring that trashy vibe I hated from the movies, and not the sassy fun there was on the show. But still, it’s Kat Dennings, which guarantees at least one week for me.

2. The Ringer (Sept. 13, 9, CW)
Alright, so one drama snuck into this list. However, it’s the return of Sarah Michelle Gellar. I know nothing of this show besides that it sounds a lot like I Know Who Killed Me. I’d like to assume that this is compelling and fun. It’s probably my most leery anticipation because of what I know about it. But after developing a strong relationship with Buffy Summers and the Scoobies this past year, I feel that I should at least give it a try.

3. Free Agents (Sept. 21, 8:30, NBC)
I’m not entirely sure what it is, but the cast sells me on this one. True, this is probably nothing more than the latest Coupling story where exporting reruns of the UK version would’ve been more opportune. But you have Joe Lo Truglio (the State), Anthony Head (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Hank Azaria (the Simpsons) leading the cast. I know nothing about this show, but if these talents can deliver, I am sure I’m fine with adding this to my roster. I just hope Azaria will still set aside time every week to also voice Bumblebee Man.

4. Whitney (Sept. 22, 9:30, NBC)
I may isolate myself with this one. Late one night, I flipped on my Netflix Instant Watch and watched Whitney Cummings’ “Money Shot.” It was the typical stand-up of a girlfriend emasculating her boyfriend, and yet… I kind of liked it. Maybe it was my blind introduction to her via WTF with Marc Maron, but I felt she had an authentic voice based on the less than three hours I’ve ever experienced of her work. I know nothing about this show, but I’d like to assume it’s a better version of Perfect Couples, which proved Olivia Munn couldn’t do comedy. I know Cummings can at least perform comedy… I’m curious to see her carry a show.

5. New Girl (Sept. 20, 9, Fox)
I’m not going to lie, I like Zooey Deschannel as a person. Her career choices, however, are scattered between pure brilliance ((500) Days of Summer) and poor judgement calls (Yes Man), However, she does have that quirky charm that makes me believe that she can actually do something great. Sadly, again, from promos, this looks kind of like the dumb-girl stuff that shows like My Boys fought against. However, I’d like to think a woman with such an entertaining Tumblr account would make a good decision every now and then.

My 5 Abominations
Past Winners: Raising Hope, Outsourced, $#*! My Dad Says, Gossip Girl, the Big C, No Ordinary Family

1. H8R (Sept. 14, 8, CW)
The irony. This show pins people like Kim Kardashian into situations with people who hate them. I don’t know… at the end of the season’s arc, I guarantee you that nothing good will come of this. While some naïve, elderly US Weekly reader will be convinced that Kardashian is not a maniacal and pointless figurehead, let’s face it, Kardashian’s still rich, that US Weekly reader is still poor, and my chance of breaking into the biz is no longer going to be considered at the CW because I’ll have to convince myself to like Kardashian (eww).

2. Charlie’s Angels (Sept. 22, 8, ABC)
And you thought I was annoyed when Hawaii Five-O was remade? I didn’t even care about the original show. Even now, I don’t care much for the original series ofCharlie’s Angels. However, a trip to see the Change-Up gave me a promo for this show that I found completely unpleasant. While Pan Am seemed to be showing ABC moving in an ambitious direction, Charlie’s Angels totally flips the script and is not even a resemblance of the original show. Why even call it Charlie’s Angels? I would’ve given it some respect if it didn’t. Even the Rockstar Energy Drink-fueled remix theme song makes me feel self-aware that these are tragic times that we live in when a generation cannot get their own original ideas on the air.

3. Suburgatory (Sept. 28, 8:30, ABC)
Has making a comedy of the rich and famous falling to rags ever worked? I’m sure it has, but if movies like Material Girls and Life Stinks proved anything, the general premise cannot even last 90 minutes without getting boring. I don’t know what ABC hopes to prove with this show. Maybe that life in the suburbs is just as great as life with a mansion and a yacht. True, Alan Tudyk could be a draw. Maybe even Cheryl Hines. But I cannot help but think that maybe the idea of making airheads funny is not worth investing time in.

4. Up All Night (Sept. 21, 8, NCB)
Don’t get me wrong, I think that Will Arnett is a very funny fellow. However, after striking out with Running Wilde, I don’t know that I trust his trajectory as much. True, the supporting cast works, too. Maya Rudolph moved miles up in my book after Bridesmaids. However, I have a strong hatred for shows that have to feature taking care of a baby as a central plot device (Raising Hope). There’s little to sway me into liking this show because of that infant… unless he’s a minor character, only appearing in the pilot episode and forever disappearing.

5. The X-Factor (Sept. 21, 8, Fox)
Now, don’t get me wrong. If American Idol gave us anything, it’s Kelly Clarkson. However, it really feels like a lazy slap in the face to just make an American version of that other show that was like that show. It’s the same central cast doing their same schtick with the same concept: a British reality show to find the next big thing is coming to America! Why not just cancel your American Idol TiVo now? This is American Idol, just with a new name and setting. Prepare for the quips and uninspired ramblings of Simon Cowell in the series premiere, because what the world really needs is more annoying shows where tone deaf people try to sing for the first two weeks of it’s running.


Check out Thom’s blog every Wednesday and listen to new Nerd’s Eye View podcasts every Tuesday and Thursday. Send us email and nevpodcast@gmail.com

Comments