Zombies Can Be Fun!!!


By Thomas Willett
Thursday, November 11, 2010

When I was asked to review the new AMC show The Walking Dead, I was leery to do so. I was never in love with zombies, only enjoying "Shaun of the Dead" because it was funny, not because I got the numerous in-jokes about George A. Romero flicks. However, it has been a slow month at the movies and I needed to review something with merit (sorry, Jackass 3).

On Halloween night, I sacrificed my social life and watched the show. The story is based on the comic series by Robert Kirkman about a zombie apocalypse and its few survivors (lead by Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes). From the start, it is ominous, relying heavily on what's hidden. There are no scare tactics such as emphasized scores. Instead, it plays out like a Sergio Leone western: quietly amongst a vacant wasteland.

While it begins slow, it picks up midway with the introductions of Morgan Jones (Lennie James) and his son Duane (Adrian Kali Turner), who are killing zombies with sniper rifles. While they seem like minor roles, they introduce an emotional level, explaining that Morgan's wife is a zombie. It makes the zombies become personal and despite the fear of them, realize they were innocent humans.

One of the more impressive elements was the make-up. The pale, decaying flesh came across convincing. Jake Garber and his team did a really good job capturing a look that managed to transcend from terror to sympathy in a matter of seconds.

The greatest aspect is that it felt cinematic. Like Boardwalk Empire, it takes everything seriously enough to push it beyond the campy boundaries of an average TV show. The characters play out their demises in movie time, choosing to pace themselves and not trying to wrap up by the 60 minute mark. If anything, it gives wonder to what TV could be when not censored by executives. This deviant approach to TV shows (especially on a fairly local channel like AMC), seems to advance what can be done and reinvigorates what we watch (It also makes me wonder if they'll get around to making a series based on Brian K. Vaughn's excellent Y: The Last Man comics. But that's just a dream for another day).

By the end of the episode, I don't know if I like zombies. However, like Soap, it has found my one vice: cliff hangers. Since I now care about the characters, I want to know if they'll survive the perils ahead. Also, with the dull introductions out of the way, I can now enjoy the journey and discover just how deep the character development can go.

Hopefully by the end of the six episode run, I can determine just where I stand with zombies. I still don't get them, but I sure am intrigued.


Thomas Willett is the co-host of Nerd's Eye View and A Day at the Office with Marc and Thom.

Comments