My 5 Favorite: Ellen Page

If you resemble anything of a friend in my life, you will already know that of all the actresses I admire, few have compared to the tiny Canadian from Halifax, Ellen Page. With the release of Inception, I have practically been hyping it as the new Ellen Page movie, just to let people know she is in it. Of course, I don't do it to disrespect the cast, which is stellar and includes Joseph Gordon Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Michael Caine, Cillian Murphy, and Leonardo DiCaprio. Also, it's Christopher Nolan, the genius who got me to pay to see the Dark Knight five times.

However, there's been something that's intrigued me about Page since I (yes, I was like you once) hopped on the band wagon when the Diablo Cody-written/Jason Reitman-directed Juno hit the scene and blew the world away, especially with numerous Oscar nominations, including one for Page's acting. In my history, very few movies got as long of an obsession as Juno.
Five months straight of talking about it. I had no idea who Page was or what Hard Candy was, but this little movie with an independent soundtrack and dialogue that featured references to Soupy Sales, Woody Allen, and Etch-A-Sketches was right up my alley, joining likes of Judd
Apatow and Kevin Smith in my pop culture lexicon.
However, unlike these guys and their pop culture, there was something about the character that just intrigued me. I don't know if I fully understood the reason yet, but somehow over those five months, I found my favorite actress. It was also contributed from recommendation of Hard Candy and a Showtime airing of An American Crime.
But the thing about this actress was that unlike most I had seen up to this point, she was sort of an independent bad-ass without being the Ashley Tisdale circa High School Musical bad-ass that promotes the idea that abo
rtion should be legalized. She had a wit, she knew what she wanted, and unlike John Tucker Must Die, she thought rationally. Basically, her type-casting was strong willed girls with a brain.
Three y
ears later, she still continues to amaze me. Sure, not every film is a masterpiece. Sometimes you get decent work like Peacock, others you get surprises like the Tracey Fragments. Her continuing urge to experiment and not stick to one genre is another intriguing factor. The fact she's so good in all platforms also is a contribution.
Then, I can honestly say she was adorable on Saturday Night Live and I almost immediately committed every sketch to memory. She wasn't the greatest host, nor the funniest, but I have to say, she has charm and it's so off-center that it just intrigues me more to like her.
On another note, I also don't want to know everything about her. True, small quirks make her cool and give inspiration for stories, but some mystery makes things more fun. Also, I feel it's stalking to know what many might consider private. However, if she chooses to openly share it, I will accept it and b
ased on what it is, I will add it to my list of useless facts. Of course, with Ellen Page, what is useless?
However, I haven't seen all of her movies either. Movies like Mouth to
Mouth and The Stone Angel remain on my Netflix queue until I desire to see them. There is this weird part of me that hates perfection. Basically, once I see everything, nothing has that vibe any more. It's precisely why I am in no hurry to complete my Martin Scorsese, Coen Brothers, or even Christopher Nolan catalog. I like the "I'll see it soon" aspect of being able to discover beauty when I'm older.
So, over the years, she has compiled a body of work that makes me believe that unlike my previous pony, Lindsay Lohan, Ellen Page will still be relevant and making quality movies (possibly more Oscar nominations) for decades to come. I mean, she's working with Diane Keaton (Woody Allen's BEST muse) on an HBO show called Tilda, so I don't see offers stopping any time soon.
Especially if Inception is as amazing as I think it is.
So, here are five of my favorite of her movies.


JUNO
Well, obviously. The tale of a pregnant teenager who listens to The Stooges and watches slasher movies with a commercial composer is practically the break out movie for her. Sure, she kicked ass in Hard Candy and got more seen in X-Men: The Last Stand, but Juno got her an Oscar nomination. It was the first sign that she could balance complex dramatic elements with small moments of comedic joy. Also, fewer people have delivered such pop culture quirks more perfectly. And in all fairness, Michael Cera was a great pairing, only topped by his pairing with Kat Dennings in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. However, this is also what most people consider Page to be as an actress and don't have any familiarity with her great dramatic sides.
HARD CANDY
The first film other than Juno that I saw that made me love her. The concept that this young kid could pull this off seemed like a pre-pubescent Lisbeth Salander and the fact it was majority of 100 minutes of Page and Patrick Wilson playing mind games is a surprise it became so gritty and fun. It got her some much deserved recognition and she hasn't been this dark since.




WHIP IT
Arguably guilty pleasure. Women kicking ass on roller skates, plus a fun soundtrack and Ellen Page? It's a great combination and it manages to hit a soft spot with me every time. Whether it's the blue hair, the misfit angle, or the female empowerment, there's something that makes the tale unique and by the end, becomes one of Page's most lighthearted and fun movies, arguably fighting against Juno for the top.


THE TRACEY FRAGMENTS
Easy way to tell how hardcore of an Ellen Page fan you have. Can they honestly say they have seen the Tracey Fragments? Like An American Crime, it is very dark and disturbing, but unlike the latter, the Tracey Fragments manages to capture Page in a weird mind-set where she talks dirty and hallucinates. The filming style is also ambitious and if anything slightly a turn-off, but at no point does it lack innovation.


SMART PEOPLE
Having the distinct pleasure of being released exactly after Juno, this time she plays a minor role against Sarah Jessica Parker, Thomas Haden Church, and Dennis Quaid. Pretty tough to do, speaking it's a rather dull story from the makers of Sideways, but whenever she's on screen, whether smoking pot, making out with family, or selling her deceased mother's clothing, she's always a blast and plays know-it-all so well. She brings some light to an otherwise dull tale and is probably one recommended to big Page fans who can wade through a lame romantic plot and family morals.




And, if you want more news on her, check out: http://www.ellenpageonline.com

Comments