My Favorite (Not Necessarily the Best) of the Decade: Part 2 of 5

Enchanted [2007] 92%
The movie that introduced Amy Adams to the general public was not that great of a story, nor did it feature a spectacular cast. However, Adams’ performance and song choices make her easily one of the most adorable actresses to be featured in a live action Disney movie.


Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [2004] 93%There isn’t really anything worth saying about this that hasn’t been said. It’s been hailed as a modern romantic comedy classic and probably has restored Jim Carey’s career, despite lackluster material since.

Fanboys [2009] 32%
The movie may have not been a hit, but it did manage to throw in as many “Star Wars” and “Star Trek” jokes (as well as an amazing arsenal of cameos) to keep the fans happy and everyone else in their seats laughing. It also is one of the highly underrated Jay Baruchel’s best performances to date.

Fantastic Mr. Fox [2009] 93%
There is something about Roald Dahl movie adaptations that just amazes me. From “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” to “James and the Giant Peach”, his work has been turned into an alternative universe that has shined. This time, Wes Anderson takes a turn at it and manages to make the stop motion animation sizzle onscreen and results in a fantastic movie that I feel will be remembered for awhile.

(500) Days of Summer [2009] 86%I can’t remember any movie ever making me feel so happy. After seeing this, I immediately ran out to a book store and sat next to people. I also saw it when it was relatively exclusive, so I felt like I had discovered this gem that would later go on to be on of the best movies of 2009. It also ranks as one of Zooey Deschannel’s best performances.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall [2008] 84%Jason Segel’s debut as a leading man offers a lot of fun times in a twist on the romantic comedy. While many argue about Segel’s nudity, you have to overlook the small things to see the big picture. I also feel there was a lot of excellent songs in here that introduced America to Russell Brand and gave us Mila Kunis’ best movie performance to date.

The 40-Year-Old Virgin [2005] 85%The movie that started director Judd Apatow’s reign on Hollywood. While I may have not liked it at first, the movie’s endearing heart is what sells me. Also, the scene in which Steve Carrell and Leslie Mann are driving to Missy Elliott’s “Get Ur Freak On” is one for the memory books.

From Hell [2001] 58%For some of this decade, Johnny Depp had pissed me off with three “Pirates of the Carribean” and the massacred “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”. But he started the decade off right with this Alan Moore graphic novel adaptation that manages to capture all the appeal of Jack the Ripper in a nitty gritty England.

Funny People [2009] 68%
My favorite movie of 2009 also is probably the closest to an “Annie Hall” that I think this decade will get. With a superb cast and an amazing blend of stand up and storyline, the two and a half hours of this movie manages to serve more to a discovery of personal human psyche and the initial answer to why we need to have friends in our lives.

The Hangover [2009] 77%
This movie was originally sold as a slapstick farce that I was going to pass over. Then, my friends invited me to a midnight screening and I was glad I went. The comedy was brilliant and introduced the world to Zach Galifianakis. I easily call this the “Animal House” of the decade in that the awkward moments enrich the story’s heart.

Hard Candy [2005] 67%
One of the many reasons that I have come to love Ellen Page. This is one of her earlier works that manages to capture the haunting vibe of when the tables are turned on pedophilia. At an early age, Page already shows promise, managing to scare us as she gives vasectomies and prove that she was in on the con the whole time.

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle [2004] 73%After “National Lampoon’s Van Wilder”, Ryan Reynolds went on to become a leading hunk. As for co-star Kal Penn? He went on to be in President Barrack Obama’s cabinet. Somehow, I think that makes this stoner comedy more hilarious. Of course, the reason this movie is separated from other efforts is that it takes two Middle Eastern Americans and manages to analyze racism on a road trip to find one of the few White Castles in their area.

Hellboy [2004] 81%
This movie single-handedly got me interested in comic book movies again. By 2004, I had seen a bunch of crap come my way, including “The Hulk” and “The Fantastic 4”. I wasn’t interested in seeing anything else as I felt we regressed to Joel Schummacher’s “Batman and Robin” days. But then, I bought a ticket to “Hellboy” to kill time one afternoon, and I honestly felt like a changed man. The characters were amazingly complex and the balance of humor and action hasn’t been matched by anyone since (with exception to the sequel,”Hellboy II: The Golden Army”). It also introduced me to one of the brilliant directors of our time: Guillermo Del Toro.

High Fidelity [2000] 92%
John Cussack’s tale of woe through music lists and analyzation is probably one only music fans will really appreciate. His desperation to make sense of his life is very believable as he has to deal with co-workers, including an occasionally funny heavy metal nut played by Jack Black. The interaction and romance is spliced perfectly together and leaves you feeling warm inside by the end.

Hot Fuzz [2007] 90%A parody on cop movies returns the “Shaun of the Dead” crew together and it manages to add enough suspense of a real cop movie while keeping the British humor and actual satire above it. The team behind these movies is easily one of the most promising teams working today.

Hot Rod [2007] 38%A lowbrow spectacle that could set Andy Samberg up for future slapstick masterpieces. It captures all the charm of misguided youth and gives Danny McBride and Bill Hader their first real chance to shine.

The Incredibles [2004] 97%
While my relationship with Pixar went a little sour after “Finding Nemo”, this movie kept me some hope that it was just their first misstep. While it wasn’t their last, this movie manages to take the aspects of a superhero film and twist a family first moral that makes for some fun family entertainment.

Inglourious Basterds [2009] 88%
I can honestly say that director Quentin Tarantino is one of my favorite directors. This decade, he has convinced me that you don’t have to play by the rule book to make a story interesting. While this is one of his rare linear stories, the reimagining is an inspiration to writers like me as he takes Brad Pitt and Eli Roth into Germany and kicks ass. Another note that you will probably hear a lot is that this movie should break out co-star Christoph Waltz (currently signed on to be in “The Green Hornet” remake), who gives a terrifically menacing performance.

Inside Man [2006] 86%
Denzel Washington is one of those actors I came to like over time. This movie that analyzes a heist is one of the many reasons why I find his work captivating and his delivery strong through his over-confidence. While it is argued that “American Gangster” was better, I couldn’t get into that one simply because it felt overdone. This one almost feels perfect in comparison.

Iron Man [2008] 93%There hasn’t been more of a miracle story this decade than that of Robert Downey Jr., especially after falling off the radar from drug addictions. But he came back with a boom, including this solid superhero film that played to his confidence and persona so perfectly that you almost didn’t care that he was in an iron suit most of the movie.

Comments