Most Possibly the BEST Pop Album Ever?

With the recent death of Michael Jackson, I figured it would be appropriate to take time talk about the music that has moved a generation... pop. Sure, we didn't all grow up listening to pop, but there is a sensibility to it that even if you didn't listen to it, there was some subliminal pop in even the hardest core of metal.

I listened to the one album everyone owned, "Thriller". I saw the videos (directed by John Landis of all people), but even though the music was great, I didn't feel the power of the music. He was a good singer, but surely, he wasn't the greatest. I felt he was truly an artist, but his videos and the choreography always outshined his vocal skills.

The closest I had come to pop music perfection was Madonna's greatest hit collection, "The Immaculate Collection", which featured the hits "Into the Groove" and "Like a Prayer" and can get me dancing for any occasion. Unlike Jackson, I felt the passion in her voice as well as her music. Maybe it was that she was also an innovative artist to begin with, but I just liked her sound (or at least what was covered on "The Immaculate Collection").

But the album wasn't technically all original material. It was a greatest hits package. True, it qualified, but it wasn't the best pop album of original work.

And then, two weeks ago, I received my companion guide to all things of quality music, Spin Magazine. Since investing monthly in it, I have found some of my recent favorite acts, including Liz Phair, Regina Spektor, Hole, Wu-Tang Clan, and Public Enemy. Very rarely have they ever let me down (pretty much, the endorsed MGMT and The Locusts suck).

On the cover of Spin Magazine was none other than Prince, who had been close to the magazine for years, including a whole section dedicated to him in their book "20 Years of Alternative". I already had a fondness for Prince as he had several catchy hits (and I swear he lives right in our own back yards). Over the past five years, he was also the ONLY performance at the Super Bowl that I remember I actually cared to watch (including my memorable "Purple Rain"! chant).

But this magazine was not promoting an album, but a movie that he did 25 years ago called "Purple Rain". I believe for the most part, this cover story seemed timely because Spin was celebrating their 25th anniversary simultaneously.

So I read it and sure enough, it was all about the movie "Purple Rain". It gave some hints into the actual recording process (and Morris Day, who I had only know before from "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", which even then politely referenced Day from "Purple Rain"), but it was mostly about the artist and the direction taken.

So, I put on the album, and within two minutes, I think I found love for an album. I may have had a lot of different affection for music lately, but this seemed almost like an immediate connection. The intro to "Let's Go Crazy" was possibly the greatest way to grab my attention and it held over with "Take Me With U" and the other few tracks. I recognized "Darling Nikki" from a Foo Fighters cover and "When Doves Cry" was clearly familiar to anyone who chooses to embrace any aspect of the 80's.

But still, I was amazed. For some reason, this was the feeling I was expecting "Thriller" to give me, but was massively let down to nothing but catchy tunes. Sure, Michael Jackson had his style, but certain level of passion and provocative tones really didn't mesh well in my opinion.

Now Prince, I knew he was pretty much the equivalence to a sexual being. Let us take a look at the opening lyrics to "Darling Nikki":

"I knew a girl named Nikki
I guess you could say she was a sex fiend
I met her in a hotel lobby
Masturbating with a magazine"

A nice little couplet that you don't get until you actually look at it. But he was more than dirty. Sure, he was a busy man, pumping out every last song that he could, but he was an artist even when he was The Artist Formerly Known as Prince.

Something about him seems appealing when he sings and breaks out into his signature squeal. Sure, he sounds just like a pig, but he also sounds free of all repression. In my opinion, he was the quintessential pop star because he delivered what all pop music wants to... it brought joy and freedom.

Let us look at every truly great pop star of the times. Little Richard was so flamboyant that in 2008's "Religulous" when told no one was born gay, comedian Bill Maher responded "Have you ever seen Little Richard"?

Even Michael Jackson had that energy, though to me, it felt more geared towards the videos and the performances. Truly a craft that most ignore, but doesn't immediately put him at the top of my favorite pop albums.

But with Prince, he was visually stunning with his purple gear (my old favorite color before someone talked me out of it) and he seemed provocative and intriguing with his sensual voice.

Now, I haven't heard any of his other albums, but I am so floored by this album and how catchy and brief it can be.

But to accompany an awesome album, you needed to fulfill the movie Spin decided to dedicate an issue to. I recent saw it for the first time and it was rather amazing. Prince was not the greatest actor, but he sure was stylish and provocative when he just stared down everyone. I find talent in someone who could do that (no way a comparison, but shall we say, Robert De Niro?).

The layout seemed solid and almost felt iconic just watching it. I mean, supposedly this really influenced the movie "8 Mile", which was based on Eminem's life in Detroit. But the scene-song-scene really played better than any of the actual musicals around at the time. Though the album isn't really a play-by-play of the movie, it sure as hell sets the mood just right.

And damn is it catchy. I don't know if I like this album because it's pure pop perfection of if Prince just has skills, but I love this more than "Thriller". Sure, Prince didn't have a chimp named Bubbles, but he had Morris Day, who has since monkeyed around anyways. Final notes, I am a little intimidated to see his other work. Because if this was a one time deal, who knows if my opinion will fully change. I am especially not intrigued about his new efforts. I am scared that after he found Jehovah that his provocative nature in tone was gone. I may find out, but for now, I am going to progress onto the next album that Spin Magazine recommended as one of the Top 10 records of the past 20 years in 2005:

Sign 'O the Times

Comments

  1. re: Michael Jackson - "I felt he was truly an artist, but his videos and the choreography always outshined his vocal skills." - I agree. There is a lot of his music where I have a hard time understanding what the words are.

    And you, my friend, are probably the only person who has ever mentioned Prince and Robert De Niro in the same sentence!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment